History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

13 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.142 / 57°8'31"N

Longitude: -2.1305 / 2°7'49"W

OS Eastings: 392200

OS Northings: 805684

OS Grid: NJ922056

Mapcode National: GBR S6V.YW

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.7RQ7

Entry Name: 13 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 17 June 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355875

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20714

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Duncan MacMillan, 1875; 20th century additions to rear. 2-storey and basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan villa. Tooled coursed grey granite with contrasting light grey granite dressings, finely finished to margins at NW elevation; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to remainder. Rough-faced granite basement; base course; long and short quoins and dressings; projecting cills; eaves course; overhanging eaves.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; pilastered doorpiece to centre of ground floor, with deep entablature; flight of splayed steps flanked by walls with lamp standards leading to doorway; 2-leaf panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight; single window to 1st floor above. Canted 3-light windows to basement and ground floors of flanking bays to left and right, forming balcony to 1st floor; bipartite windows to 1st floor above.

SW ELEVATION: central gablet; 2 windows to basement floor, window to centre of ground and 1st floors.

SE ELEVATION: centre bay obscured at basement and ground floor by glazed corridor link to modern addition; segmental-arched stair window to 1st floor above with fine stained glass, window openings flanking; 3-light canted windows with piended roofs through basement and ground floors of bays to outer left and right, windows to 1st floor above.

NE ELEVATION: central gablet; 3 windows to basement floor, and porch reached by flight of steps down to basement; single window to centre of 1st floor.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Gabled grey slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: fine interior; much of skirting boards, mouldings, architraves and cornicing survives, doors predominantly replaced with modern equivalents. Tiled entrance floor; panelled inner door with fine stained-glass upper panels and fanlight; panelled entrance hall, with pair of timber fluted Corinthian columns flanked by pilasters supporting deep floreate cornice; caryatid brackets to arch leading to staircase; dog-leg stair with turned balusters and panelling below dado, panel mouldings to walls above; stained glass stair window; arches leading to flanking rooms. Heavily textured wallpaper to principal room to E of ground floor, panelled frieze above; Jacobean panelled timber ceiling with gilded timber paterae; Ionic pilastered timber fire surround with panelled and glazed overmantle. Rich plaster mouldings and cornice to principal room to W of ground floor; neo-classical timber fire surround.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers to NW (shared with adjacent properties), corniced with shallow pyramidal caps; low coped rough-faced granite walls between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.

Statement of Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 13 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Duncan MacMillan, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The client in this case was John Strath. 13 Queen's Road is part of the earlier block of villas on Queen's Road, between Queen's Cross and Queen's Gate. Despite the traditional exterior, the interior of 13 Queen's Road is exceptionally fine. The columned entrance hall, highly decorative mouldings, fireplaces and wallpaper in (the E room) are particularly noteworthy. Currently in commercial use.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.