This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1418 / 57°8'30"N
Longitude: -2.1314 / 2°7'53"W
OS Eastings: 392144
OS Northings: 805662
OS Grid: NJ921056
Mapcode National: GBR S6Q.ND
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.7R9D
Entry Name: 19 Queen's Road, Albyn School for Girls, Including Ancillary Structure, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355878
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20717
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Matthews & Mackenzie, 1882; 20th century additions (not included in listing) linking to 17 and 21 Queen's Road (see separate listings). 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite with finely finished dressings to NW elevation; granite rubble to remainder. Base course; architraved openings; dividing band course; eaves course; overhanging eaves with roundels on underside.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; banded pilastered doorpiece to centre of ground floor, distyle Tuscan columns in antis flanking doorway, rosette detail in fluted capitals, entablature above, 2-leaf panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight, glazed panels flanking columns to left and right; tripartite window to 1st floor above; tripartite rectangular-plan pilastered windows advanced to bays to left and right of ground floor, narrow windows to left and right returns, single windows to 1st floor above.
SW ELEVATION: blank; modern link addition to outer right.
SE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 3-bay; doorway reached by steps, flanked to left by window at ground floor of centre bay; bipartite stair window above; broad canted bays through basement ground and 1st floors of flanking bays to left and right, 4 windows to all floors except 2-light window basement floor of bay to right; 2 small rectangular dormers to attic floor.
NE ELEVATION: link to 17 Queen's Road at ground floor, remainder blank.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced ridge stacks, cans removed. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine interior; majority of mouldings survive, panelled timber doors, door and window architraves, cornices and fireplaces; panelled inner door with etched glass upper panel and fanlight to ground floor; ? height Ionic pilastered panelling to hall, chimney-piece with tiled inset and mirrored overmantle, fluted Ionic columned screen, flanked by pilasters, moulded ceiling; fluted Ionic pilasters flanking doorways off hall; staircase with turned timber balusters. Compartmentalised plaster ceilings, pilastered windows and decorative cornices to principal rooms of ground floor. Simple mouldings and fireplaces to upper floors.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: Matthews & Mackenzie, former stable and coach house to S entered from Queen's Lane South; 2-storey; granite rubble finely finished to margins; projecting cills; panelled timber doors with letterbox fanlights.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: shared with 17, 21 and 23 Queen's Road. Low square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps to NW, flanked by rough-faced granite walls with ashlar coping; tall pier surmounted by urn to Forest Avenue; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
B-Group with 17, 21 and 23 Queen's Road. From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 19 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Albyn School began its life in Union Street (at the W end, originally called Union Place). It was started by Miss Harriet Warrack, and was called the Union Place Seminary for Young Ladies, taking both day and boarding pupils. The school was built up by Alexander Mackie, who joined it in 1883, at which time the school was renamed Union Place Ladies School. 3 years later it moved to Albyn Place (Nos 4 and 6), and was renamed Albyn Place School. 1920 saw the beginning of the move of Albyn School to Queen's Road, when 21 Queen's Road was taken on as the boarding house, at the same time Miss Oliver became the headmistress. 5 years later the school moved from Albyn Place to 23 Queen's Road, at which time it assumed its present name of Albyn School for Girls. When Miss Oliver retired in 1948 she gave the school to the Former Pupils Club (formed in 1906), and the Albyn School Company was formed, which instituted a Board of Governors to administer the school. In 1949 19 Queen's Road was bought (although it was used by the school between 1921 and 1924), and 10 years later 17 Queen's Road was the last villa to be added to the group. 19 Queen's Road was built originally for George Jamieson of Rosebank, a town councillor and Lord Provost of Aberdeen from 1874-1880. The Aberdeen practice of Matthews and Mackenzie was particularly successful, and they were involved in the design of many of the West End villas. Details of note at 19 Queen's Road include the fine doorpiece, pilastered rectangular-plan windows, and the panelled entrance hall.
Other nearby listed buildings