History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3 Queen's Gate at Queen's Road and Forest Avenue, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1414 / 57°8'29"N

Longitude: -2.1331 / 2°7'59"W

OS Eastings: 392041

OS Northings: 805620

OS Grid: NJ920056

Mapcode National: GBR S6H.GY

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.6RHP

Entry Name: 3 Queen's Gate at Queen's Road and Forest Avenue, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 17 June 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355881

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20720

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Matthews & Mackenzie, 1882. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite, finely finished to margins. Basement course rising to form moulded cill course at ground floor; long and short quoins in contrasting light grey granite; corniced architraved windows to ground and 1st floors, with pilastered mullions, Ionic capitals to ground floor; dividing band course; deep eaves course; overhanging eaves on modillion brackets.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; centre bay slightly advanced, Ionic columned porch advanced, entablature supporting diminutive Ionic columned balustrade forming 1st floor balcony; stone steps to pilastered doorway, 2-leaf panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight, narrow windows flanking to left and right, pilasters with channelled rustication flanking; pedimented bipartite window to centre bay of 1st floor. Bipartite windows slightly advanced through ground and 1st floors of flanking bays to left and right. 3 bipartite rectangular dormers to attic floor.

SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; broad bay advanced to centre, window to 1st floor, single architraved window to ground floor of left return, bipartite window to 1st floor, irregular fenestration to right return.

SE ELEVATION: symmetrical; centre bay of basement floor advanced, single window to left and right, decorative iron stair leading down to garden from modern lean-to conservatory surmounting basement; tripartite windows slightly set back to left and right of basement and ground floors, forming balcony to 1st floor with geometric iron railings; tripartite window to centre of 1st floor, flanked to left and right by single windows; 3 rectangular dormers to attic floor.

NE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; architraved bipartite window to ground floor, with pilastered mullion; advanced moulded cills to 1st floor windows, supported on elaborate stone brackets.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced ridge stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: elaborate plaster ceilings; mosaic floor to porch; etched glass inner door (one pane replaced); panelled hall with timber fluted Ionic columns and pilasters, simple fire surround, swan neck pedimented overmantle with thistle to centre; dog leg stair, turned balusters and Ionic pilastered newel post; 9-light stained-glass stair window; service stair to W with iron balusters; panelled timber doors, some pilastered and pedimented; finely detailed room to E, highly decorative ceiling and frieze.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: squat square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers and piers at angles to N, deeply stop-chamfered angles; low rough-faced granite walls flanking, railings removed. High granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.

Statement of Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 3 Queen's Gate is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road, on which the Queen's Gate lies, is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Matthews & Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Features of particular note include the Ionic columned porch and delicate pilastered mullions. Also of interest is the fine interior.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.