This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1411 / 57°8'28"N
Longitude: -2.1343 / 2°8'3"W
OS Eastings: 391970
OS Northings: 805591
OS Grid: NJ919055
Mapcode National: GBR S6B.G7
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5RXW
Entry Name: 37 and 39 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355886
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20725
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall Mackenzie, architect and John Morgan, builder, 1895; later additions and alterations. 2-storey basement and attic, 4-bay pair of semi-detached villas. Rough faced coursed grey granite ashlar, finely finished to margins at NW elevation; coursed granite rubble to remainder. Ground floor cill course; dividing band course; moulded cills to NW elevation.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay comprising mirrored pair of 2-bay villas; 2 broad round-arched doorways to centre bays of ground floor, jambs waisted towards base, moulded impost detail above, voussoirs alternating between rough-faced and finely finished granite, keystone detail, doors deeply recessed, pilastered 2-leaf panelled timber door to No 37, with glazed panels flanking, replacement small-pane glazed timber door and flanking panels to No 39, broad small-pane fanlight to each; 2 windows to 1st floor above. Gabled outer bays, 3-light canted windows to ground floor of each, with parapet enclosing balcony to 1st floor; tripartite windows to 1st floor; attic floor slightly advanced on corbel brackets, tripartite windows centred in gableheads, queenpost details and overhanging eaves, iron sunflower finials to apexes.
SW ELEVATION: gabled; irregular fenestration; doorway to basement floor.
SE ELEVATION: various lean-to additions; near-regular fenestration; doorways to ground floor; 4 rectangular dormers with catslide roofs to attic floor.
NE ELEVATION: gabled.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows with plate glass or 2-pane lower sashes and small-pane upper sashes. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks and stacks breaking pitch with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: some interior mouldings survive; staircase altered to No 39. Decoratively tiled doorsteps.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers to NW (shared with adjacent villas), with low coped walls between; granite coped rubble walls dividing gardens to NW; high brick coped rubble walls to S, swept down.
B-Group with 41-43, 45-47, 49-51 and 53 Queen's Road (see separate listings). From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 37 and 39 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as A Marshall Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Mackenzie designed many of the adjacent villas, notably 41-43, 45-47 and 49-51 Queen's Road, which follow the same formula as 37-39 Queen's Road, and 53 Queen's Road, which is a single villa version of the above. This particular group shows the influence of the architecture of Pirie and Clyne (seen best at Hamilton Place, see separate listings), common features include the waisted jambs flanking the doorways, parapet between gables and the iron sunflower finials. John Morgan, the builder, also patronised Pirie and Clyne, and was involved in their buildings at Hamilton Place, so it seems likely that he could have encouraged the use of the aforementioned features.
Other nearby listed buildings