This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.141 / 57°8'27"N
Longitude: -2.1348 / 2°8'5"W
OS Eastings: 391942
OS Northings: 805579
OS Grid: NJ919055
Mapcode National: GBR S68.9H
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5RPZ
Entry Name: 41, 41a, 43 and 43a Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355889
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20726
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall Mackenzie, architect and John Morgan, builder, 1895; later additions and alterations. 2-storey basement and attic, 4-bay pair of semi-detached villas. Rough faced coursed grey granite ashlar, finely finished pink granite margins at NW elevation; coursed granite rubble to remainder. Ground floor cill course; dividing band course; moulded cills to NW elevation.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay comprising mirrored pair of 2-bay villas; 2 broad round-arched doorways to centre bays of ground floor, jambs waisted towards base, moulded impost detail above, voussoirs alternating between rough-faced and finely finished granite, keystone detail, doors deeply recessed, pilastered pair of doors to 41 and 41A, panelled and glazed, pair of small-pane glazed timber doors in pilastered doorway to 43 and 43A, broad small-pane fanlight to each; 2 windows to 1st floor above; 2 gableted dormers set in mansard infill at attic floor. Gabled outer bays, 3-light canted windows to ground floor of each, with parapet enclosing balcony to 1st floor; tripartite windows to 1st floor; attic floor slightly advanced on corbel brackets, tripartite windows centred in gableheads, queenpost details and overhanging eaves, iron sunflower finials to apexes.
SW ELEVATION: gabled; irregular fenestration; doorway to basement floor.
SE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; full-height basement; projecting lean-to additions to ground floor of 2 central bays, infill to basement below at No 41; window to 1st floor above each; bays to outer left and right advanced, bipartite windows to basement floor, tripartite windows to ground floor and bipartite windows to 1st floor. 4 rectangular dormers with catslide roofs to attic floor.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; irregular fenestration.
Predominantly sash and case windows with plate glass or 2-pane lower sashes and small-pane upper sashes; timber plate glass windows to ground floor of No 41; PVCu glazing replicating original pattern to remainder of NW elevation of No 41, 2-pane to rear; timber windows to No 43. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead and stacks breaking pitch with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers to NW (shared with adjacent villas), with low coped walls between; granite coped rubble walls dividing gardens to NW; high brick coped rubble walls to S, swept down.
B-Group with 37-39, 45-47, 49-51 and 53 Queen's Road (see separate listings). From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 41 and 43 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as A Marshall Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Mackenzie designed many of the adjacent villas, notably 37-39, 45-47 and 49-51 Queen's Road, which follow the same formula as 41-43 Queen's Road, and 53 Queen's Road, which is a single villa version of the above. This particular group shows the influence of the architecture of Pirie and Clyne (seen best at Hamilton Place, see separate listings), common features include the waisted jambs flanking the doorways, parapet between gables and the iron sunflower finials. John Morgan, the builder, also patronised Pirie and Clyne, and was involved in their buildings at Hamilton Place, so it seems likely that he could have encouraged the use of the aforementioned features.
Other nearby listed buildings