This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1409 / 57°8'27"N
Longitude: -2.1354 / 2°8'7"W
OS Eastings: 391902
OS Northings: 805567
OS Grid: NJ919055
Mapcode National: GBR S65.FJ
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5SD1
Plus Code: 9C9V4VR7+9R
Entry Name: 49 and 51 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355893
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20728
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall Mackenzie, architect and John Morgan, builder, 1895; later additions and alterations. 2-storey basement and attic, 4-bay pair of semi-detached villas now linked to 53 Queen's Road (see separate listings). Rough faced coursed grey granite ashlar, finely finished pink granite margins at NW elevation; coursed granite rubble to remainder. Ground floor cill course; dividing band course; moulded cills to NW elevation.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay comprising mirrored pair of 2-bay villas; 2 broad round-arched doorways to centre bays of ground floor, jambs waisted towards base, moulded impost detail above, voussoirs alternating between rough-faced and finely finished granite, with keystone detail, door deeply recessed to 49 Queen's Road, pilastered panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels, replacement glazed doors to No 51; 2 windows to 1st floor above; single bipartite rectangular dormer to left of attic floor, 2 skylights behind. Gabled outer bays, 3-light canted windows to ground floor of each, with parapet enclosing balcony to 1st floor; tripartite windows to 1st floor; attic floor slightly advanced on corbel brackets, tripartite windows centred in gableheads, overhanging eaves, iron sunflower finials to apexes.
SW ELEVATION: obscured by link to 53 Queen's Road.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; full-height basement; 2 windows to centre 2 bays of ground floor and 1st floor, balcony to ground floor that to right adjoining projecting timber lean-to oriel to bay to outer right, bipartite window to 1st floor above; bay to outer left advanced, bipartite window to each floor; 4 rectangular dormers with catslide roofs to attic floor.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; window to centre of ground and 1st floor.
Predominantly sash and case windows with plate glass or 2-pane lower sashes and small-pane upper sashes. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead and stacks breaking pitch with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers to NW (shared with adjacent villas), with low coped walls between; granite coped rubble walls dividing gardens to NW; high brick coped rubble walls to S, swept down.
B-Group with 37-39, 41-43, 45-47 and 53 Queen's Road (see separate listings). From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 49 and 51 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as A Marshall Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Mackenzie designed many of the adjacent villas, notably 37-39, 41-43 and 45-47 Queen's Road, which follow the same formula as 49-51 Queen's Road, and 53 Queen's Road which is a single villa version of the above. This particular group shows the influence of the architecture of Pirie and Clyne (seen best at Hamilton Place, see separate listings), common features include the waisted jambs flanking the doorways, parapet between gables and the iron sunflower finials. John Morgan, the builder, also patronised Pirie and Clyne, and was involved in their buildings at Hamilton Place, so it seems likely that he could have encouraged the use of the aforementioned features. Modern 3-bay link adjoins 51 Queen's Road with 53 Queen's Road to form the Queen's Hotel (formerly New Marcliffe Hotel), see separate listing.
Other nearby listed buildings