This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1427 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1303 / 2°7'48"W
OS Eastings: 392215
OS Northings: 805764
OS Grid: NJ922057
Mapcode National: GBR S6X.D4
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.7QVP
Entry Name: 8 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355901
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20735
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
John Rust, 1895; later additions and alterations George Bennett Mitchell & Sons, 1933. 2-storey, basement and attic, 4-bay double villa converted to single villa by G B Mitchell, 1933. Tooled coursed grey granite with contrasting light grey finely finished margins to SE elevation; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to remainder. Base course; architraved dressings to SE elevation; kneelered gables to SE elevation.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; pair of pilastered doorpieces to centre 2 bays of ground floor, supporting corniced entablatures, stones steps flanked by railings to door to left, basket-arched doorway, panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels and letterbox fanlight, bipartite infill to former doorway to right, window to basement; regular fenestration to 1st floor, pair of gableted dormers to attic floor, with stone finials. Gabled bays advanced to left and right, 3-light canted windows through basement, ground and 1st floors with parapet forming balcony to attic floor, basket-arched openings to ground floor; gableted window set in gablehead to attic; stone finial to apex of gable.
NE ELEVATION: gabled to right; windows to centre of each floor, round-arched to attic.
NW ELEVATION: gabled harled 2-storey and attic dormitory addition advanced to centre, G B Mitchell, 1933; gabled bays flanking to left and right with regular fenestration.
SW ELEVATION: gabled to left; window to centre of each floor, round-arched to attic.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews with beaked and blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: decoratively tiled entrance porch; 2-leaf panelled timber door with etched glass upper panels, and etched glass panels flanking and to fanlight, decorative double cornice and ceiling rose; cornices to principal rooms and some mouldings survive; staircase with iron balusters
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to SE, surmounted by pyramidal caps (shared with adjacent properties); low rough-faced granite coped wall between; granite and brick coped walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 8 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as John Rust (the City Architect), were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 8 Queen's Road, originally a double villa, was designed for Alexander Keith, a grain merchant. The design appears to be a variation on the design of 2 and 4 Queen's Road, which were probably also by John Rust. Features of particular note include the fine entrance hall, pilastered doorways, gableted windows to the attic floor and the kneelered gables. Currently in use by the SYHA.
Other nearby listed buildings