This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1425 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1318 / 2°7'54"W
OS Eastings: 392124
OS Northings: 805739
OS Grid: NJ921057
Mapcode National: GBR S6P.6M
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.7Q4W
Entry Name: 18 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355904
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20738
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Matthews and Mackenzie, 1880; later additions and alterations. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite with contrasting light grey dressings, finely finished to margins at SE elevation; remainder Aberdeen bond granite rubble. Rough-faced basement; base course; dividing band course; segmental-arched openings to 1st floor of SE elevation; chamfered reveals to SE elevation; eaves course; decorative iron finials to apex of gables.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; broad segmental-arched doorway with elaborately moulded lintel to centre bay of ground floor, reached by stone steps flanked by iron railings; panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels, fanlight above; gableted window breaking eaves to 1st floor above, skylight to attic floor. Gabled bays flanking to left and right; curved walls to ground floor corbelled out to form angle at 1st floor; canted windows through basement and ground floors, with centre light only at basement floor, enclosed by railings, part piended slate roofs surmounted by iron brattishing; bipartite windows to 1st floor above. Single storey, single bay wings adjoining to outer left and right, gableted with segmental-arched doorways to centre.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; flat-roofed addition to ground floor, with single window above; infilled bipartite window to 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: predominantly irregular fenestration; fine stained-glass window off-centre to left of 1st floor, flanked to left and right by piend-roofed windows breaking eaves; modern broad box dormer incorporating 2 windows to attic floor.
SW ELEVATION: gabled; addition to ground floor, single window to 1st floor above.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows; replacement timber 2-pane windows to ground floor of SE elevation, with top hoppers. Slate roof with metal and felt ridges. Stone skews with gableted and blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: some mouldings, panelled timber doors, architraves, skirting boards and cornices survive. Tripartite inner door, with fluted Ionic pilasters and glazed lights flanking; Ionic pilastered round-arched openings to ground and 1st floor halls; dog-leg stair with turned timber balusters; elaborate cornice to room to E of ground floor; panelling to window surrounds, with small colonettes at angles.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps to SE, low coped rough-faced granite walls surmounted by modern railings in traditional style between. Granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 18 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Matthews and Mackenzie (who were particularly prolific in this area of Aberdeen), were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 18 Queen's Road was designed for J Crombie, an Aberdeen merchant. The villa is well detailed, notably the broad segmental-arched doorway, and 2 gableted doorways to outer left and right. Also of particular interest is the ironwork and pilastered interior. The railings are a modern addition, based on what would have existed originally.
Other nearby listed buildings