This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1419 / 57°8'30"N
Longitude: -2.1345 / 2°8'4"W
OS Eastings: 391956
OS Northings: 805672
OS Grid: NJ919056
Mapcode National: GBR S69.0G
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5RTB
Entry Name: 40 and 42 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355905
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20739
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Matthews and Mackenzie, 1884. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay double villa. Tooled coursed grey granite, finely finished to margins at SE elevation; Aberdeen bond rubble to remainder. Rough-faced granite base course; architraved openings to principal elevation; dividing string course forming 1st floor cill course; gableted dormers with pierced bargeboards.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-bay comprising 2 2-bay mirrored semi-detached villas; doorways to centre 2 bays at ground floor, 2-leaf panelled timber door to each, architraved fanlight flanked by scrolls above, regular fenestration to 1st floor, 2 dormers to attic floor. Rectangular-plan tripartite windows in rough-faced granite through ground and 1st floors of bays to outer left and right, Dutch gables breaking eaves, with ogee mouldings at steps and tiered string courses flanking central round-arched window with keystone detail, diminutive pediments surmounting, roundel to apex of each. Curved outer angles to left and right, that to right (40 Queen's Road) forming tower, window to centre of ground, 1st and attic floors, conical turret roof with fishscale slate and iron finial to apex.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; 2 windows to right of 1st floor, single round-arched window centred in gablehead; 2-storey wing to outer right.
NW ELEVATION: obscured by pair of gabled bays, irregular fenestration; single storey gabled bay advanced to centre at ground floor.
SW ELEVATION: gabled; pair of windows to left of 1st floor, round-arched window centred in gablehead.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows; replacement timber windows with top hoppers to ground floor of No 40. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Corniced gablehead stacks and stack breaking pitch with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: remodelled; 42 Queen's Road retains original arcaded timber screen and tapered Ionic columns to entrance porch and hall, and staircase with turned timber balusters.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers to SE, surmounted by pyramidal caps, gatepier to W shared with adjacent property; low coped granite walls flanking; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 40 and 42 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Matthews and Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 40 and 42 Queen's Road was built for Mr F W Steele. Of particular note are the elaborate window bays to the SE elevation, decorative doorways and fine pierced bargeboards to the attic dormers.
Other nearby listed buildings