This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1408 / 57°8'26"N
Longitude: -2.1401 / 2°8'24"W
OS Eastings: 391622
OS Northings: 805550
OS Grid: NJ916055
Mapcode National: GBR S5J.BB
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.3S65
Entry Name: 86 Queen's Road at Bayview Road, Including Railings, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355922
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20751
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 19th century; alterations Kelly & Nicol 1913; later additions and alterations. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite with contrasting light grey long and short dressings, finely finished to margins at SE elevation; Aberdeen bond granite to remainder. Base course; dividing band course; eaves course; overhanging eaves; timber bargeboards; long and short quoins. Half-sunken basement enclosed by geometric railings.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; steps and entrance platt at centre bay of ground floor, geometric railings and lamps surmounting walls, doorway with Gibbsian surround, panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels, decorative fanlight above; single window to centre of 1st floor, canted dormer to attic; 3-light canted windows through basement, ground and 1st floors, with piended roofs.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; single window to right of bay to left at 1st floor; oversized bowed bay through basement, ground and 1st floors of flanking bay to right, 3 windows to each floor, half-conical roof. Single storey and attic, 3-bay wing adjoining to outer right, regular fenestration to ground floor, bipartite window to centre of 1st floor, flanked to left by single window, roof stepped down to right, gableted window breaking eaves.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; single storey and attic piend-roofed wing advanced to left, flat-roofed addition adjoining to right, modern doorway to re-entrant angle to right; segmental-arched decoratively leaded stair window to centre bay between ground and 1st floors, canted dormer to attic above; modern flue rising from 1st floor to right; doorway to right of ground floor of bay to right, flanked by window to left, single window to 1st floor above.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; central gablet; various openings to basement floor; window to right of ground floor, flanked by air-conditioning unit; window to centre of 1st floor.
Replacement timber windows with top hoppers to ground floor, predominantly timber sash and case windows with small-pane upper sashes to remainder. Piended and gabled slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced gablehead and wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: largely remodelled; fine plasterwork ceiling survives to ground floor, partially obscured by suspended ceiling.
RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: geometric railings enclosing basement floor. Square-plan gatepiers to SE and NE, with low tooled coped granite walls between; high rubble walls with granite coping to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 86 Queen's Road, originally called Bayview House, is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Although 86 Queen's Road is of more modest design than many of the properties on Queen's Road, it sits in substantial grounds. Currently in use as the Aberdeen Grammar Former Pupils Club, details of particular note include the finely leaded stair window, and oversized bowed bay on the NE elevation.
Other nearby listed buildings