This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1406 / 57°8'26"N
Longitude: -2.1406 / 2°8'26"W
OS Eastings: 391587
OS Northings: 805531
OS Grid: NJ915055
Mapcode National: GBR S5F.GC
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2SX9
Entry Name: 88 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355923
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20752
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
George Coutts, 1902. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa. Coursed, stugged granite ashlar finely finished to margins of SE elevation; Aberdeen bond granite to remainder. Rough-faced base course; dividing band course; eaves course; overhanging eaves. Architraved openings to SE elevation.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; centre bay slightly advanced with giant pilasters flanking; doorway reached by splayed stone steps surmounted by railings to centre bay of ground floor, paired scrolled cornice over doorway, 2-leaf panelled timber door, letterbox fanlight; cantilevered balcony above doorway, surmounted by iron railings, window to centre of 1st floor, scrolled cornice; stone eaves stepped forward between 1st and attic floor; wallhead stepped up to form attic floor, with broken segmental pediment and central obelisk, decoratively glazed bull's-eye window to centre. Canted windows to ground floor of bays to left and right, parapets forming balconies to 1st floor, paired windows to 1st floor above, each with shallow saddleback cornices; 2 modern skylights to attic floor.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; irregularly placed door and window openings, 2 wallhead stacks breaking eaves with timber gablet details, bipartite dormer between; single storey and attic wing to outer right, variety of door and window openings to ground floor, piend roofed windows breaking eaves to 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; single storey and attic wing advanced to left, panelled doorway to centre bay of ground floor with stained glass upper panels, flanked by small window to right; bipartite stair window of decorative stained and etched glass above; 3-light canted window to ground floor of flanking bay to right, with piended slate roof, single window to 1st floor above; 3 tripartite piend-roofed dormers to attic floor.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; window to centre of 1st floor, flanked to right by single window; 2 wallhead stacks breaking eaves with timber gablet details, bipartite stained glass dormer between.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: mosaic floor to porch, decoratively glazed inner door; tiled floor to hall, Art Nouveau fireplace; turned balusters to staircase; panelled doors, architraves and some mouldings survive; Art Nouveau door furniture.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to SE, flanked by low coped granite wall; granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 88 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as George Coutts, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. According to the plans, Coutts built 88 Queen's Road and the adjacent 90 and 92 Queen's Road (see separate listings) for himself, suggesting he was building speculatively. The SE elevation is particularly well detailed, the interior also retains some features of note.
Other nearby listed buildings