This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1403 / 57°8'25"N
Longitude: -2.1418 / 2°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 391517
OS Northings: 805495
OS Grid: NJ915054
Mapcode National: GBR S58.FP
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2SCK
Plus Code: 9C9V4VR5+47
Entry Name: 96 Queen's Road at Anderson Drive, Earls Court Hotel, Including Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355925
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20754
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Robert Gordon Wilson, of Ellis & Wilson, 1898; substantial 20th century additions and alterations. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa with stylised Jacobean detailing. Rough-faced coursed granite ashlar, finely finished to margins. Base course; dividing string course; eaves course; eaves blocking course; stylised curvilinear gables.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay slightly advanced to left, bowed bay through ground and 1st floors, 3 windows to each floor, parapet forming balcony to attic floor with stylised crenellations, tripartite window set in gablehead of attic floor, central window stepped-up with curved cornice. Window to 1st floor of central bay; piend-roofed dormer to attic floor. 5-light canted window to ground floor of bay to right, acorn finials to part crenellated parapet; tripartite window to 1st floor; Jacobean gabled tripartite window to attic floor, flanked by stylised scrolls.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; canted bay through ground and 1st floors, windows to outer angles and returns; modern addition adjoining to outer right.
NW ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by modern additions; gabled bay to right, with windows to right at ground and 1st floors.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay advanced to left, 3 windows to ground and 1st floors, round-arched windows set in gablehead at attic floor; triangular-plan entrance porch to re-entrant angle to right, finely finished pale grey ashlar, round-arched doorway supported on diminutive columns, oval openings flanking to left and right, cusped parapet with finial to centre; oval opening flanking porch to right, pair of bipartite windows with chamfered reveals and decorative leaded glass to 1st floor above; piend-roofed dormers to attic floor; gabled bay to outer right, pair of windows to ground and 1st floors, pair of tiny windows set in gablehead.
Variety of timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews with oversized scrolled skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers of banded rough-faced granite, corniced with acorn and spherical finials, flanked by Aberdeen bond granite walls, with granite coping.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 96 Queen's Road, formerly known as Rubislaw Green, is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Ellis and Wilson, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The prominently situated 96 Queen's Road is the last of the grand villas on Queen's Road. The gatepiers are of particular note.
Other nearby listed buildings