This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1444 / 57°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.136 / 2°8'9"W
OS Eastings: 391869
OS Northings: 805948
OS Grid: NJ918059
Mapcode National: GBR S63.7J
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5P4F
Entry Name: 5, 5a and 5b Rubislaw Den North, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355933
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20761
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Ruxton, 1900. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay villa with single storey and attic, 3-bay wing. Tooled coursed grey granite, finely finished to margins of NE elevation; Aberdeen bond granite to remainder. Rough-faced dark grey granite base course; ground and 1st floor cill courses, dividing string course; overhanging eaves with queenpost detail to gableheads.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gableted timber porch on granite base course to penultimate bay to right, 2-leaf panelled timber door reached by stone steps, stained glass windows flanking to left and right, quadripartite stained glass windows to left and right returns, single window flanking to right, gableted window to 1st floor above; gabled bays advanced to left and right, tripartite windows to ground and 1st floor of bay to right, quadripartite window to ground floor of bay to left, with blind panels above, 12-pane stained glass mullion and transomed window above. Recessed bay to left: 2-leaf panelled timber door to right of ground floor, with leaded upper panels and fanlight, window flanking to left, gableted window to 1st floor above. 3-bay wing adjoining to outer left: oversized 5-light canted bay advanced to right, scalloped crenellated parapet, half-hexagonal roof with finial to apex, panelled timber door with large plate glass fanlight to bay to centre, flanked by 2 windows to left; tripartite windows with catslide roofs to attic floor.
NW ELEVATION: addition to ground floor, gabled bay to right, smaller gablet to left.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; variety of openings and gables, modern skylight to attic floor.
SE ELEVATION: M-gabled; predominantly obscured by wing, gabled with single window.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows with leaded and stained glass upper sashes. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced gablehead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to NW, flanked by low rough-faced granite coped walls; rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 5 Rubislaw Den North is part of the later 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 5 Rubislaw Den North, which was built for George A Cornwall, has particularly fine stained glass, also of note is the elegant timber porch with delicate door furniture.
Other nearby listed buildings