This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1444 / 57°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.1379 / 2°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 391752
OS Northings: 805957
OS Grid: NJ917059
Mapcode National: GBR S5T.MD
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4P6C
Entry Name: 11 Rubislaw Den North, Braco Lodge, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355935
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20763
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Clement George, 1928. 2-storey and attic villa. Harled. Rough-faced base course; projecting cills; overhanging eaves.
N (RUBISLAW DEN NORTH) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-bay; tripartite stained glass stair window to penultimate bay to right, irregular fenestration flanking; gabled bays advanced to left and right with half-timbered gableheads, garage door to right at ground floor, 2-light window to 1st floor, tripartite window to left at ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor above; single storey wing adjoining to outer left, regularly placed door and window openings.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; deeply chamfered doorway to centre of ground floor, panelled timber door, piend-roofed 2-light window breaking eaves to 1st floor above; 3-light window to left of ground floor, single window to 1st floor; 5-light canted window advanced to right of ground floor, flat roof, single window to 1st floor.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 5-light canted windows advanced to bays to left and right, verandah between, timber balcony surmounting and linking canted windows at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by single storey wing; bipartite window breaking eaves to right of 1st floor, dormer to left at attic floor, flanked by skylight.
Predominantly timber casement windows, some with square-pane leaded details. Rosemary tiled roof with terracotta ridge. Harled and tapered wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped rough-faced granite walls to N, rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 11 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 11 Rubislaw Den North is one of two villas designed by Clement George (1880-1932) on the S side of Rubislaw Den North (the other is 15 Rubislaw Den North, see separate listing). Both villas follow a similar formula with varying details. The harled tapered stacks being particularly reminiscent of Voysey. Unlike many of the houses on Rubislaw Den North, the principal elevations of both villas are to garden side.
Other nearby listed buildings