This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1442 / 57°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.1394 / 2°8'21"W
OS Eastings: 391660
OS Northings: 805936
OS Grid: NJ916059
Mapcode National: GBR S5M.54
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.3PHJ
Plus Code: 9C9V4VV6+M6
Entry Name: 15 Rubislaw Den North, Glenburn Lodge, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355937
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20765
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Clement George, 1929. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa. Harled. Rough-faced base course; projecting cills; half-timbered detail to gableheads; overhanging eaves; piend-roofed windows to 1st floor breaking eaves.
N (RUBISLAW DEN NORTH) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; pair of gables to centre 2 bays, 3-light stair window to that to right, single and bipartite windows to ground floor of bay to left, tripartite window to 1st floor; tripartite windows to ground floor of bays to outer left and right, bipartite window breaking eaves to 1st floors. Single storey wing to outer left.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; deeply chamfered segmental-arched doorway with granite dressings, 2-leaf panelled timber door with leaded upper panels and panels flanking, bipartite window to 1st floor above; bipartite window to ground floor of flanking bay to left; canted bay with piended roof to ground floor of flanking bay to right, small side lights to outer cants.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: symmetrical; tripartite window to centre bay at ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor above; gabled bays to left and right, 6-light rectangular-plan windows to ground floor of each bay, linked by balcony with decorative iron railings at 1st floor, quadripartite windows to 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; shallow canted bay with piended roof to left at ground floor, tripartite dormer to attic floor; bay to right slightly advanced with piended roof, piend-roofed wing with patio door to left return of ground floor, bipartite window to left of 1st floor.
Predominantly leaded casement windows with top hoppers. Piended Rosemary tiled roof with terracotta ridges. Coped harled tapered wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to N with pyramidal caps, high rubble walls with granite coping between; coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 15 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 15 Rubislaw Den North is one of two villas designed by Clement George (1880-1932) on the S side of Rubislaw Den North (the other is 11 Rubislaw Den North, see separate listing). Both villas follow a similar formula with varying details. The harled tapered stacks being particularly reminiscent of Voysey. Unlike many of the houses on Rubislaw Den North, the principal elevations of both villas are to garden side.
Other nearby listed buildings