This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1446 / 57°8'40"N
Longitude: -2.1405 / 2°8'25"W
OS Eastings: 391594
OS Northings: 805977
OS Grid: NJ915059
Mapcode National: GBR S5G.46
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2PZ7
Entry Name: 54 Rubislaw Den North, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355953
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20778
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Duncan and J Ross MacMillan, 1907. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite ashlar finely finished to margins. Dividing string course forming 1st floor cill course; half-timbered detail to gableheads; overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; broad gabled bay advanced to centre, 5-light canted window with crenellated parapet to ground floor, quadripartite window to 1st floor, PVCu glazed 3-light oriel on brackets to attic floor, windows to left return; recessed bay to left, flat-roofed porch with 2-leaf boarded timber door to ground floor, flanked to right by narrow window and to left by bipartite window; tripartite window to 1st floor breaking eaves with crenellated parapet; recessed bay to right, ground floor not seen (2000), tripartite window to 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: gabled; 2-storey gabled bay advanced to left, quadripartite windows to ground and 1st floors, single storey gabled bay advanced to right of ground floor with broad window to centre; remainder not seen 2000.
N ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
W ELEVATION: gabled; bipartite window to right of ground floor, single storey addition to left.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows with small pane upper sashes. Slate roof with lead ridges. Coped and corniced ridge and wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to S with pyramidal caps, low coped ashlar wall between; coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 54 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as the MacMillans, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 54 Rubislaw Den North is an odd mix of inspired details, such as the half-timbered gableheads and stone mullioned windows, with Scots baronial crenellated parapets.
Other nearby listed buildings