This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1444 / 57°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.1423 / 2°8'32"W
OS Eastings: 391486
OS Northings: 805949
OS Grid: NJ914059
Mapcode National: GBR S56.7G
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2P3F
Plus Code: 9C9V4VV5+P3
Entry Name: 68 Rubislaw Den North, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355958
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20783
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
George Coutts, dated 1905. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa with gothic detailing. Tooled coursed grey granite ashlar finely finished to margins of S elevation; coursed dark grey granite rubble to remainder. Rough-faced base course; chamfered cills; dividing string course; swept-down overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; pointed-arched doorway with chamfered reveals near-centre of ground floor, 2-leaf gothic panelled timber door, with iron bell-pull, 2 plaques above; mullion and transomed window flanking to right, tripartite window to right of 1st floor set in tall gable; broad 5-light canted bay advanced to left through ground and 1st floors breaking eaves with elegantly swept-down roof, gableted timber lucarne to centre of advanced slate roof, iron weathervane finial to apex.
E ELEVATION: gabled; asymmetrical; piend-roofed ingleneuk to left at ground floor, single window above, tall stair window flanking to right; wing adjoining to outer right.
N ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
W ELEVATION: gabled.
Predominantly timber casement windows with small-pane glazing band at top, and 2-pane below. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Corniced gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: dining room with Tudor-style chimneypiece in ingleneuk; good door furniture (interior seen before 1991).
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to S, canted at necks and surmounted by shallow splayed circular-plan caps; low Aberdeen bond granite wall between; brick coped rubble walls to remainder, modern garage adjoining boundary wall to SE.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 68 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as George Coutts, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 68 Rubislaw Den North was built for Miss Webster. Particularly noteworthy are the elegantly swept down eaves and tiny lucarne to the principal elevation (which is similar to those used by J B Pirie at Queen's Cross Church, see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings