This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1444 / 57°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.1425 / 2°8'33"W
OS Eastings: 391474
OS Northings: 805950
OS Grid: NJ914059
Mapcode National: GBR S55.J6
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2P1F
Plus Code: 9C9V4VV4+PX
Entry Name: 70 Rubislaw Den North, Selsden, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355959
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20784
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Robert Gordon Wilson, 1905. 2-storey, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite ashlar finely finished to margins. Rough-faced base course; dividing band course; 1st floor cill course; overhanging eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors of 2 bays to right; pedimented bay advanced to left; 4-light canted window to ground floor, with parapet forming balcony to 1st floor above, tripartite window to 1st floor, blind oculus centred in pediment.
E ELEVATION: stained glass stair window to centre.
N ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; bay to left advanced, piend-roofed entrance porch to re-entrant angle to right with parapet, chamfered outer angle with window to centre, window to left at 1st floor; dormer to attic floor.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended and gabled grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: distinctive gatepiers shared with 68 Rubislaw Den North (see separate listing) to SE; low coped granite ashlar wall flanking; square-plan gatepiers to SW with shallow pyramidal cap; rubble walls to remainder. Ancillary structure with half-timbered gablehead to NW of villa.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 70 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Robert Gordon Wilson, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 70 Rubislaw Den North was built for Mrs Kilgour. It is a simple villa with classical inspired detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings