This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1443 / 57°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.1432 / 2°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 391435
OS Northings: 805943
OS Grid: NJ914059
Mapcode National: GBR S52.N5
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.1PQG
Entry Name: 74 Rubislaw Den North, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355961
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20786
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Wilson and Walker, 1906. 2-storey, 2-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite ashlar finely finished to margins of S and W elevations; Aberdeen bond granite to remainder. Rough-faced base course; 1st floor cill course; eaves course; overhanging eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; pedimented bay advanced to left, tripartite rectangular-plan window to ground floor, with piended slate roof, bipartite window to 1st floor above; bipartite window to ground floor of recessed bay to right, single window to 1st floor above.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; ground floor obscured by trees (2000), irregularly placed windows to 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; wing advanced to left, near-regular openings to remainder, skylight to attic floor.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; blank bay advanced to left, porch hood on decorative timber brackets to re-entrant angle to left, panelled timber door with fanlight, window to 1st floor above.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced gatepiers to S with low coped walls between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 74 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Wilson and Walker, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 74 Rubislaw Den South is of simple but well detailed design. The decorative timber porch hood to the W elevation is of particular note.
Other nearby listed buildings