This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1442 / 57°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.1434 / 2°8'36"W
OS Eastings: 391418
OS Northings: 805937
OS Grid: NJ914059
Mapcode National: GBR S51.6P
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.1PLH
Entry Name: 76 Rubislaw Den North at Moray Place, Including Ancillary Structure, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355962
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20787
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Ruxton, 1901. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay, L-plan villa. Tooled coursed grey granite finely finished to margins of S elevation; Aberdeen bond granite to remainder. Rough-faced base course; ground floor and 1st floor cill courses; overhanging eaves; timber bargeboards; queenpost detailing to gableheads.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay slightly advanced to left, 4-light canted window advanced to left, with parapet forming balcony to 1st floor, bipartite window to 1st floor above; tripartite window to ground floor of bay to right, gableted window to 1st floor above.
E ELEVATION: gabled.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay advanced to right, remainder not seen 2000.
W (MORAY PLACE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; 3 windows to 1st floor of bay to left, quadripartite rectangular dormer to attic floor above; bipartite stained glass stair window to penultimate bay to left, with stone mullions and transoms; flat-roofed porch advanced to ground floor of penultimate bay to right, pair of windows to centre, doorway with chamfered reveals to right return, 2-leaf panelled timber door, wallhead stepped-up above, blind tablet inset, gabled 1st floor above, window to centre; blank bay to outer right.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows, plate glass lower sash and small-pane uppers. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: rectangular-plan garage to NW adjoining boundary wall, 4-leaf timber doors to Moray Place, slate roof and half-timbered gablehead. Square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps. Low coped stepped boundary wall to S; high Aberdeen bond walls to W; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 76 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as William Ruxton, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 76 Rubislaw Den North is retains much of the original glazing pattern, including large stained glass stair window to the W. The queenpost detailing to the gableheads is also of note.
Other nearby listed buildings