This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1425 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1354 / 2°8'7"W
OS Eastings: 391906
OS Northings: 805743
OS Grid: NJ919057
Mapcode National: GBR S65.DY
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5QFV
Entry Name: 5 and 7 Rubislaw Den South at Spademill Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355965
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20789
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably A Marshall Mackenzie, late 19th century. 2-storey, 4-bay double villa. Rough-faced coursed grey granite and tooled Aberdeen bond granite finely finished to margins. Rough-faced pink granite base course; dividing band course; overhanging eaves; queenpost detail to gableheads.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical. 5 Rubislaw Den South: 2 bays to left; single window to ground and 1st floors of bay to right, bipartite rectangular dormer to attic floor above; gabled bay to left, 3-light canted window through ground and 1st floors, parapet forming balcony to attic floor, tripartite window set in gablehead of attic floor. 7 Rubislaw Den South: 2 bays to right; doorway to bay to right at ground floor, pilastered panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels, letterbox fanlight, window to 1st floor above, skylight to attic; shallow rectangular-plan tripartite window through ground and 1st floors of bay to right, decoratively scrolled parapet breaking eaves with central cartouche, bipartite rectangular dormer to attic floor above.
W ELEVATION: gabled; window to centre of 1st floor, addition to outer right.
S ELEVATION: gabled bay advanced to right, 3-light bowed window through ground and 1st floors, tripartite window set in gablehead; remainder not seen 2000.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical; 5-bay; rough-faced granite to centre 3 bays; broad round-arched doorway to centre bay at ground floor, moulded impost detail above, voussoirs alternating between rough-faced and finely finished granite, with keystone detail, panelled door deeply recessed, windows flanking to left and right; regular fenestration to 1st floor, corniced central window; bull's-eye opening below central gablet at attic floor, wallhead stacks clasping gable to left and right; regular fenestration to bays to outer left and right.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with decoratively pierced terracotta ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped wallhead, gablehead and stacks breaking pitch, circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: Square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers to NE, with pyramidal caps, low coped Aberdeen bond walls flanking to left and right; high rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 5 and 7 Rubislaw Den South is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as a Marshall Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The doorway of 5 Rubislaw Den South is very similar to the doorways of 37-53 Queen's Road (see separate listings), which were designed by A Marshall Mackenzie, suggesting that he was the author of this double villa also. 7 Rubislaw Den South is of slightly different design to 5 Rubislaw Den South, suggesting it may have been designed separately. Other features of note include the well detailed rectangular-plan window to 7 Rubislaw Den South, and the 2-storey bowed window to the rear.
Other nearby listed buildings