This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1424 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1373 / 2°8'14"W
OS Eastings: 391789
OS Northings: 805728
OS Grid: NJ917057
Mapcode National: GBR S5X.J5
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4QHY
Entry Name: 27 and 27a Rubislaw Den South, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355969
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20791
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
John Morgan, builder, 1897. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa converted into 2 dwellings. Rough-faced coursed grey granite finely finished to margins at N elevation; coursed rubble to remainder. Dark grey base course; ground floor cill course; dividing band course, moulded at 1st floor cill; eaves course; overhanging eaves.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; broad doorway to centre bay at ground floor, original door replaced with pair of panelled doors with glazed uppers and leaded fanlights; window to centre bay of 1st floor above, timber apron; modern rectangular dormer to attic floor. Gabled bay to bay to left, 3-light canted window through ground and 1st floors; gablehead plane advanced on blocked brackets, bipartite window to centre.
W ELEVATION: granite to bay to left; shingled modern addition to right.
S ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
E ELEVATION: gabled.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows, with geometrically leaded upper sashes. Grey slate roof with pierced terracotta ridge. Coped stone skews with blocked skewputts. Cast-iron and PVCu rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped Aberdeen bond walls to N; brick and granite coped walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 27 and 27A Rubislaw Den South is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. John Morgan (b. 1841) was an Aberdeen builder who specialised in high quality granite cutting and carving. Morgan lived at 50 Queen's Road (see separate listing), and was involved in a great many of the West End villas.
Other nearby listed buildings