This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1423 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1382 / 2°8'17"W
OS Eastings: 391734
OS Northings: 805718
OS Grid: NJ917057
Mapcode National: GBR S5S.6N
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4R20
Plus Code: 9C9V4VR6+WP
Entry Name: 37 and 39 Rubislaw Den South, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355974
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20794
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1899. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay double villa. Coursed rough-faced granite finely finished to margins of N elevation; coursed rubble to remainder. Base course; ground and 1st floor cill courses; dividing band course; eaves course.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-light canted windows through ground and 1st floors of 2 central bays, dentil moulded cornices, half-hexagonal roofs with terracotta finials to apexes; doorways to ground floor of bays to outer left and right, corniced with consoles, pilastered panelled timber doors flanked by glazed panels, letterbox fanlights; bipartite windows to 1st floor above each; skylights to attic floor.
W ELEVATION: gabled; window off-centre to left of attic floor; 2-storey wing adjoining to right.
S ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
E ELEVATION: gabled; window to centre between ground and 1st floors, window off-centre to right of attic floor; 2-storey wing adjoining to left.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows, with small pane upper sashes to N elevation. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge. Stone skews with scrolled skewputts. Coped gablehead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced gatepiers to N with pyramidal caps, low coped granite walls between; rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 37 and 39 Rubislaw Den South is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 37 and 39 Rubislaw Den South was built for Mr Charles A Bodie. The double villa is boldly proportioned with decorative small pane upper sashes and half-turret roofs to canted bays. Almost identical to the adjacent 33 and 35 Rubislaw Den South (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings