This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1431 / 57°8'34"N
Longitude: -2.1342 / 2°8'3"W
OS Eastings: 391975
OS Northings: 805803
OS Grid: NJ919058
Mapcode National: GBR S6B.FK
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5QYF
Plus Code: 9C9V4VV8+68
Entry Name: 2 Rubislaw Den South at Forest Road, Including, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355976
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20795
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Arthur Clyne, architect, John Morgan, builder, 1899. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay, L-plan villa. Rough-faced pink and grey granite, coursed and Aberdeen bond, finely finished to margins; rubble N elevation. Base course; dividing band course; overhanging eaves.
S (RUBISLAW DEN SOUTH) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay centrepiece in pink rough-faced granite, crowstepped central gable flanked by wallhead stacks; finely finished grey granite entrance bay slightly recessed in round arch with impost and keystone details, pilastered tripartite doorpiece, panelled pilastered timber door with letterbox fanlight, flanked by glazed panels, central lamp above, tripartite window to 1st floor, decoratively glazed roundel to attic floor; single windows to ground and 1st floors of flanking bays to left and right. Regular fenestration to bays to outer left and right at ground and 1st floors, modern skylights to attic floor above.
E (FOREST ROAD) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-bay; gabled bay to left with jerkin head, canted tripartite pink granite window to centre of ground floor, waisted necks to mullions, window to 1st floor above, tripartite window set in gablehead; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floor of bay to right, dormer to attic floor; outer right angle curved at ground floor, corbelled to form angle at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: gabled; irregular openings.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; gabled bay advanced to right with jerkin head, bowed window advanced to ground floor, 3 window openings; single window to 1st floor above, tripartite window set in gablehead. 2 recessed bays to left, doorway to outer left, regular fenestration to remainder.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows, some PVCu windows to N. Grey slate roof with lead and terracotta ridges. Coped wallhead and gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron and PVCu rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan ashlar gatepiers to SE, coped with spherical caps; low coped granite walls flanking stepped up to W; rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 2 Rubislaw Den South is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Arthur Clyne, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 2 Rubislaw Den South was built for John Morgan's sister (Morgan was not only the builder for this house, but also a regular patron of Pirie and Clyne). Originally there was to be a mirror image of the house on the opposite side of Rubislaw Den South, framing the entrance to the street. Unusually the villa has 3 main elevations, those to the E and W being similar in composition. The entrance bay to the S is emphasised in contrasting pink granite, with the doorway set in an arch. The plans show what is now a crowstepped gable as having overhanging eaves and queenpost details, in keeping with the cottage style of the remainder of the villa, however this must have been abandoned in favour of the more Scottish detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings