This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1427 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1408 / 2°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 391575
OS Northings: 805762
OS Grid: NJ915057
Mapcode National: GBR S5D.QC
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2QTQ
Entry Name: 44, 44a and 44b Rubislaw Den South, Including Gates, Gatepiers, Railings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355992
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20811
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
W and J Smith & Kelly. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa with gothic and classical detailing. Tooled coursed grey granite finely finished to margins at S elevation; Aberdeen bond granite to remainder. Base course.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; pilastered and entablatured doorway to centre bay of ground floor, reached by flight of stone steps flanked by railings, 2-leaf panelled timber door with decorative fanlight above; architraved window to centre bay of 1st floor, panelled apron flanked by scrolls, geometric glazing pattern; gableted bipartite dormer to attic floor above; gabled bays to left and right; 3-light canted window through basement, ground and 1st floors, bipartite windows set in gableheads, with flat hoodmoulds above.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to left, with canted single storey ingleneuk advanced to centre, with small decoratively leaded windows; wing advanced to right, irregular fenestration.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled wing advanced to left; predominantly regular fenestration; rectangular dormer to centre bay of attic floor, modern skylight flanking to right.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; M-gabled; granite steps ascending from right to left to doorway to left of 1st floor, panelled 2-leaf timber door with fanlight above, leaded window flanking to right; small window to centre of 1st floor, gableted dormer to attic floor at centre; flue advanced from basement of gabled bay to right; various openings set below staircase.
Variety of timber sash and case and casement windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped and corniced gablehead stacks with circular cans. Coped stone skews with blocked and moulded skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATES, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan ashlar gatepiers to S surmounted by pyramidal caps, low stepped Aberdeen bond ashlar walls between, surmounted by simple railings, 2-leaf iron gates, with scrolled piers, swept down to centre; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 44 Rubislaw Den South is part of the late 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as W and J Smith and William Kelly, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. W and J Smith and Kelly were responsible for designing several houses in the Rubislaw Den area. 44 Rubislaw Den South is one of their grander houses, built for C J Davidson, Advocate, with simple but good quality detailing. Of particular note are the finely detailed railings to the S of the villa (also found at 36 and 38 Rubislaw Den South, by Smith and Kelly, see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings