This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1425 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1425 / 2°8'33"W
OS Eastings: 391473
OS Northings: 805745
OS Grid: NJ914057
Mapcode National: GBR S55.JV
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2Q0V
Entry Name: 56 Rubislaw Den South, Fortune Green, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355996
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20815
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Arthur Clyne, 1900. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa. Rough-faced coursed grey granite ashlar finely finished to margins of S elevation; Aberdeen bond rubble to remainder. Contrasting dark grey granite base course; 1st floor cill course; flat hoodmoulds; overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; doorway to centre bay of ground floor, roll-moulded reveals and projecting canopy, 2-leaf pilastered panelled timber door reached by flight of granite steps with retaining walls, single window to centre of 1st floor, tripartite rectangular dormer to attic floor; shallow rectangular-plan tripartite window advanced to ground floor of bay to left, gableted bipartite window breaking eaves to 1st floor above; deeply chamfered outer left angle at ground floor with decorative stained glass window to centre, corbelled to form right angle at 1st floor above; gabled bay advanced to right, 5-light canted window to ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to left, irregular fenestration to bay to right; single storey wing adjoining to outer right, with panelled timber door to left return.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; doorway and window to centre bay at ground floor, tripartite stained glass stair window above; bipartite window to ground floor of bay to right, single window above, dormer to attic floor; single storey lean-to wing advanced to ground floor of bay to left, pair of windows to 1st floor; variety of skylights to attic floor.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay advanced to right, deeply chamfered angles to ground floor with stained glass window to each (see above for that to right); recessed bay to left, window off-centre to right of 1st floor.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended and gabled green-grey slate roof with terracotta and lead ridges. Corniced gablehead stacks and coped wallhead stacks with octagonal and circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine interior. Mouldings, panelled timber doors, architraves and some fireplaces survive; fine plasterwork ceilings to hall and principal rooms of ground floor; entrance hall panelled below dado, with depressed archway to timber staircase with turned balusters; fine stencilled ceiling to drawing room, probably from studio of Daniel Cottier.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers with shallow pyramidal caps to S, low granite walls between; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 56 Rubislaw Den South is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Arthur Clyne, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. In the case of 56 Rubislaw Den South Arthur Clyne built the villa for himself, which perhaps explains the exceptionally grand interior. Of particular note is the stencilled ceiling in on the ground floor, which appears to have originated in the studio of Daniel Cottier. Although Cottier died in 1891, his studio produced work to his designs for some years after his death. Also of interest is the stained glass, and survival of fine mouldings and fireplaces.
Other nearby listed buildings