This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1425 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1433 / 2°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 391428
OS Northings: 805743
OS Grid: NJ914057
Mapcode National: GBR S51.YK
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.1QNV
Plus Code: 9C9V4VV4+2M
Entry Name: 60 and 60a Rubislaw Den South, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355998
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20817
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
W and J Smith & Kelly, 1895. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite ashlar with finely finished margins to S elevation; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to remainder. Rough-faced base course; chamfered cills.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; flight of stone steps to central round-arched doorway at ground floor, 2-leaf panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight and blind tympanum, single window above; 3-light canted window to ground floor of bay to left, bipartite window to 1st floor, double width rectangular dormer to attic floor. Gabled bay advanced to right, chamfered angles to ground floor, corbelled to form right angles at 1st floor; 4-light canted window through ground and 1st floors with lead ogee roof, small window set in gablehead, with ogee lintel, stone finial to apex, window to 1st floor of left return.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; panelled and glazed timber door to left of ground floor, with bipartite mullion and transomed stained glass stair window above, canted dormer to attic floor, regular fenestration to flanking bay to right; bays to outer right advanced, modern garage to ground floor, windows to left return.
N ELEVATION: wing advanced to left, remainder not seen 2000.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to right; window to ground floor of bay to left.
Variety of timber sash and case windows. Green-grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews. Corniced gablehead and wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative top hoppers.
INTERIOR: mouldings survive to ground floor; staircase with turned timber balusters.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to S with shallow pyramidal caps, low wall between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 60 Rubislaw Den South is part of the late 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as W and J Smith and William Kelly, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. W and J Smith and Kelly were responsible for designing several houses in the Rubislaw Den area. 60 Rubislaw Den South is typical of the conservative but well designed houses by Smith and Kelly. Of particular note is the ogee leaded roof and window to the S, and decorative stained glass window to the E.
Other nearby listed buildings