This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1425 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1437 / 2°8'37"W
OS Eastings: 391403
OS Northings: 805739
OS Grid: NJ914057
Mapcode National: GBR S50.J2
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.1QGW
Entry Name: 62 and 62a Rubislaw Den South, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355999
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20818
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Robert Gordon Wilson, 1901. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay villa. Rough-faced coursed pink granite ground floor; Aberdeen bond to remainder; finely finished margins. Base course; chamfered cills to ground floor; dividing band course; projecting cills on stone brackets to 1st floor; decorative hung terracotta tiles to gables; terracotta finials to gable apexes; overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; rectangular-plan 4-light piend-roofed window to ground floor of bay to left, decorative polygonal stonework panels flanking with timber overlay; gableted window breaking eaves to 1st floor. Gabled bay stepped forward to right, tripartite window to ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-bay; flat-roofed bay advanced to centre at ground floor, bipartite window to centre, segmental-arched doorway with chamfered reveals to left return, panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels, balcony between ground and 1st floors, supported to left by open porch, window to ground floor of bay to left, pair of gableted windows breaking eaves to 1st floor. Gabled bay advanced to right, near-regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors; solar panels to left return of roof. Substantial late 20th century addition to outer right.
N ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by late 20th century addition.
W ELEVATION: M-gabled, terracotta dragon finial to apex of gable to right.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Rosemary tiled roof with pierced terracotta ridges; square-plan lantern with terracotta bird finial. Coped ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan pink granite gatepiers to S with low walls between; remaining boundary walls not seen 2000.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 62 and 62A Rubislaw Den South is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as R G Wilson (1844-1931), were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 62 Rubislaw Den South is one of the most unusual villas on the street. Wilson's use of hung terracotta tiles, elaborate finials and finely detailed timberwork is of particular note.
Other nearby listed buildings