This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1424 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1444 / 2°8'39"W
OS Eastings: 391359
OS Northings: 805732
OS Grid: NJ913057
Mapcode National: GBR S4W.XS
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.1Q4X
Entry Name: 64 Rubislaw Den South, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356000
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20819
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Robert Gordon Wilson, 1901. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay near-square-plan villa with service wing to the rear. Tooled grey granite ashlar with finely finished margins to S; Aberdeen bond granite to remainder. Rough-faced contrasting dark grey granite base course; ground and 1st floor cill courses; dividing band course; eaves course; overhanging eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; widely spaced tripartite window to ground floor of bay to right, rectangular-plan tripartite window advanced to bay to left; pair of tripartite windows to 1st floor above; pedimented dormer with oval window opening, flanked by timber scrolls to centre of attic floor.
E ELEVATION: central gablet; pair of windows off-centre to right of ground and 1st floors; 2-storey wing to outer right.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled wing advanced to left; 3-light canted window with piended roof to right of ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor above, flanked by narrow windows to centre; rectangular dormer and skylight to attic floor.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; central gablet; flat-roofed porch advanced to centre of ground floor, bipartite window to left return, deeply chamfered round-arched doorway with banded rustication and keystone detail to right return, panelled timber door reached by stone steps, timber fanlight above. Venetian stair window to centre of 1st floor above; small window to ground floor to right.
Predominantly small-pane timber sash and case windows, some PVCu windows. Piended and gabled grey slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced gablehead stacks and stacks breaking pitch with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine oak panelled hallway with timber seat recessed within pilastered segmental-arch under stair; panelled timber doors with decorative architraves; mouldings and some fireplaces survive.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers to S, spherical finial to that to left, pyramidal cap to right, low stepped granite wall between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 64 Rubislaw Den South is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as R G Wilson (1844-1931), were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 64 Rubislaw Den South contrasts sharply with the once neighbouring (now divided by a new house) light hearted 62 Rubislaw Den South (see separate listing), also by Wilson. 64 Rubislaw Den South, which was built for James H Jackson, a bookbinder, simply detailed, with an unusually high window to wall ratio. The oak panelled interior is also of note.
Other nearby listed buildings