This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1424 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1448 / 2°8'41"W
OS Eastings: 391338
OS Northings: 805732
OS Grid: NJ913057
Mapcode National: GBR S4V.H8
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.0QZX
Entry Name: 66 Rubislaw Den South, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356001
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20820
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably Robert Gordon Wilson, circa 1901; later additions. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled Aberdeen bond pink granite ashlar finely finished to margins; rubble to rear. Rough-faced base course; dividing string course; hung Rosemary tiles to gableheads; overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards. Deeply chamfered angles to ground floor corbelled to form right angle at 1st floor, narrow chamfered window with decorative leaded glass to each.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-light window advanced to ground floor of bay to left, gabled bipartite window breaking eaves to 1st floor. Gabled bays advanced to right, pair of bipartite windows to ground floor, chamfered outer angles, 4-light canted oriel with half timbered detail below cill at 1st floor; gablehead advanced on timber brackets.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; gabled bay advanced to right, flat-roofed garage addition to ground floor; flat-roofed porch to re-entrant angle to left, window to centre, round-arched doorway to left return, 2-leaf panelled timber door with decorative door furniture, fanlight; decorative open timber porch with timber balustrade between ground and 1st floor, pair of bipartite gabled windows breaking eaves to 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; bipartite window to left of ground floor, windows breaking eaves with catslide roofs to centre and left bays of 1st floor, piend-roofed dormer to attic floor, flanked by pair of 2-pane skylights. Former service wing advanced to right of ground floor, modern timber conservatory addition to centre and left return, painted brown.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; M-gabled; tripartite stair window to gabled to left, irregular fenestration flanking to left, small window set in gablehead; timber lean-to conservatory to ground floor, curved outer right angle with tiny arrowslit window with leaded glass, 3-light oriel window to 1st floor.
Predominantly timber-framed windows with decoratively leaded top hoppers, some timber sash and case windows. Rosemary tiled roof with terracotta ridges. Coped wallhead and gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine interior; much of original panelling, mouldings, fireplaces, door furniture and light fittings survive; oak panelled entrance hall and porch, decorative plasterwork ceiling to porch; staircase with turned and blocked balusters.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to S with low stepped granite wall between; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 66 Rubislaw Den South is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as R G Wilson (1844-1931), were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The plans for 66 Rubislaw Den South have not been found, however the deeply chamfered angles and composition is very similar to 6, 8 and 10 Rubislaw Den South (see separate listings) which were designed by Wilson. Pink granite, timber porch and slate hung dormers, combined with Rosemary tiles are all used at the nearby 62 Rubislaw Den South (see separate listing), also by Wilson. 66 Rubislaw Den South has a particularly well preserved interior.
Other nearby listed buildings