This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1423 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1453 / 2°8'43"W
OS Eastings: 391304
OS Northings: 805722
OS Grid: NJ913057
Mapcode National: GBR S4S.BJ
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.0RP0
Entry Name: 70 Rubislaw Den South, Dunrobin, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356003
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20822
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
George Sutherland & Clement George, 1925. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay villa. Rough-faced dark grey granite ashlar, with finely finished contrasting light grey granite dressings. Projecting cills; half-timbered gableheads; overhanging eaves; timber bargeboards.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; tripartite window to ground floor of bay to left, rectangular-plan gableted tripartite oriel to 1st floor; gabled bay stepped forward to right, 5-light canted window to ground floor, tripartite window to 1st floor above.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; broad segmental-arched stair window to centre; windows breaking eaves to right.
N ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; doorway to right of ground floor, piend-roofed canopy oversailing on timber brackets, 2-leaf panelled timber door, flanked by leaded panels and fanlight; lean-to bay advanced at ground floor of bay to right; 2-light windows breaking eaves to 1st floor above; small window with timber lintel under eaves to right of 1st floor.
Predominantly timber-framed windows with geometrically leaded top hoppers. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridges. Predominantly tapered wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers to S with low granite walls between; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 70 Rubislaw Den South is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 70 Rubislaw Den South, which was designed for David A Coutts, is one of only a few villas designed by Clement George (1880-1932) in the Rubislaw Den area. This villa is more traditional in form than the other villas, however details such as the tapered stacks appear on all the villas, suggesting the influence of Voysey.
Other nearby listed buildings