History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

72 Rubislaw Den South, Duthie Lodge, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1423 / 57°8'32"N

Longitude: -2.1456 / 2°8'44"W

OS Eastings: 391284

OS Northings: 805722

OS Grid: NJ912057

Mapcode National: GBR S4Q.X0

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.0RK0

Entry Name: 72 Rubislaw Den South, Duthie Lodge, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 17 June 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356004

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20823

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Probably John Rust, circa 1883. Single storey and attic, 2-bay former West Lodge to the Duthie Park, with Scots baronial detailing. Tooled coursed dark grey granite with finely finished contrasting light grey long and short dressings. Base course; chamfered cills and reveals; stepped hoodmoulds with nailhead label stops; long and short quoins, stop-chamfered; crowstepped gables; stone finials to apexes.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-light canted window to ground floor of advanced gabled bay to left, parapet stepped-up to centre with lion rampant crest inset, hexagonal-headed window to 1st floor above; circular-plan entrance tower to re-entrant angle to right, roll-moulded doorway to centre of ground floor, panelled timber door reached by flight of stone steps, narrow windows flanking to left and right, lion rampant shield set in hoodmould, hexagonal-headed window to 1st floor above, scalloped and moulded eaves course, conical fishscale roof with weathervane to apex. Recessed bay to right, window to centre of ground floor, gableted oculus breaking eaves to 1st floor above.

E ELEVATION: gabled; bipartite window to centre of ground floor, hexagonal-headed window set in gablehead.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to right, lean-to addition to ground floor, flanked to left by window, hexagonal-headed window set in gablehead; flat-roofed 1938 addition adjoining to left, piend-roofed dormers to attic.

W ELEVATION: irregular openings to ground floor; piend-roofed dormers to attic floor.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows, some PVCu to rear. Green-grey graded slate roof with tiled ridges. Stone skews with beaked skewputts. Corniced ridge stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative top hoppers.

INTERIOR: simple 1930's interior with Art Deco door furniture and bathroom.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps to S, low coped walls between; rubble walls to remainder.

Statement of Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. Rubislaw Den South developed in the late 19th/early 20th century to the W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 72 Rubislaw Den South differs from the other houses in the street in that it was designed and built as the West Lodge to the Duthie Park (see separate listings for further information on the Duthie Park). In 1937-8 the lodge was moved to Rubislaw Den South when the road on which it stood was widened. The exterior of the house is largely unaltered, however the interior reflects this later re-building period. Some of the stonework from the Duthie Park was also moved to the garden to the N of the villa.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.