This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6175 / 56°37'3"N
Longitude: -3.8681 / 3°52'5"W
OS Eastings: 285458
OS Northings: 748856
OS Grid: NN854488
Mapcode National: GBR JCT7.2W7
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.KX8T
Entry Name: Crieff Road, Church of Scotland Parish Church Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 9 June 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356019
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20837
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
John and G P K Young (Perth), 1884. Plain gothic church with 3-bay aisless nave, transepts and slated fleche. Squared and snecked chlorite-slate rubble with polished ashlar dressings; harl to W. Raised base course. Single- and 2-stage sawtooth-coped buttresses; hoodmoulds, some with label stops. Geometrical- and plate-traceried windows. Voussoirs; chambered reveals, raked cills and stone mullions. Boarded timber doors with decorative ironwork.
E (CRIEFF ROAD) ELEVATION: broad gable with angle buttresses and slightly advanced centre with 3 trefoil-headed lights under continuous hoodmould at 1st stage giving way to large 4-lancet Geometric window with hoodmould and label stops, glazed quatrefoil in stone cross-finialled gablehead.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tall 2-stage gabled porch projecting to left of centre with angle buttresses, return to left with steps up to doorway with hoodmould, floreate label stops and deep-set 2-leaf door giving way to bipartite window at 2nd stage. 2 plate-traceried 2-light windows with dividing buttress to centre and advanced gable to right with large raised centre tripartite windows and mandorla in gablehead; further single lancet to outer right.
W ELEVATION: broad harled gable with rose window and single stage rubble chancel with single light to canted face of polygonal-roofed bay to centre; further smaller lancet to lean-to bay at left with small 2-leaf door on return to left and similar mirrored bay to right with additional tall shouldered stack (window boarded).
S ELEVATION: mirrors N elevation but with ramp up to single stage porch with broad single leaf door, circular panel in gablehead, lacking hoodmould and with narrow light on return to left; also small additional structure in re-entrant angle to outer left.
Multi-pane leaded glazing with coloured margins and details. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stack; ashlar-coped skews with mitre skewputts. Diminutive triangular roof ventilators with trefoil-detail bargeboarding. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings
INTERIOR: altered. Gallery infilled at ground but retaining cast-iron columns and panelled front. Open timbered roof; some fixed timber pews; carved pulpit and boarded dadoes.
BOUNDARY WALLS: saddleback-coped stepped squared rubble and semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Dedicated on the 31st August, 1884 as the Established Chapel of Ease of the Parish of Dull, within which the burgh lies, and raised to quoad sacra Parish Church on 19th March, 1897. One minister took over the charge of St Andrew's Parish Church in 1951 as a result of joining with other congregations.
Other nearby listed buildings