This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.616 / 56°36'57"N
Longitude: -3.8631 / 3°51'47"W
OS Eastings: 285760
OS Northings: 748679
OS Grid: NN857486
Mapcode National: GBR JCT7.C4W
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.MYMZ
Entry Name: Crieff Road, Moness Country Club, Moness House
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356026
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20842
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1758 (Mackay gives 1753); additional porch and staircase probably 1808; extended to E circa1845; extended to W 20th century. 2-storey with attic and raised basement, 8-bay, rectangular-plan, piend- and platform-roofed house converted to hotel. Harled with stone margins.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 original symmetrical bays to right with 3 small windows to left and 2 to right at basement; oversailing stone steps and flanking decorative ironwork railings leading to small gabled porch at centre ground with panelled timber door, decoratively-astragalled fanlight and narrow lights to returns, 2 windows to flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor; 2 (later) small canted polygonal-roofed dormers grouped to left above. 3 further bays to left of centre, symmetrically-fenestrated at ground and with similar porch feature at 1st floor and dormer window to right; 3 further small windows to right at basement. Further gabled single storey extension with 2 windows to outer left, later flat-roofed out-of-character bays beyond and further flat-roofed bays to right.
S ELEVATION: variety of elements to altered elevation retaining largely symmetrical glazing over 5 widely-set bays; projecting gabled stair tower to left of centre with relief-carved armorial panel in gablehead below incised stone dated '1758' and initialled 'RSF AEF' and further full-height gabled bay to right.
E ELEVATION: later single storey bays projecting at ground with 2 windows to left at 1st floor and canted dormer above.
W ELEVATION: flat-roofed extension at ground, small window to right at 1st floor and canted dormer above.
4- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; some basement windows top-opening. Grey slates. Coped harled stacks with full-complement of cans and ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: plain and decorative cornicing; turnpike stone staircase with ball-finialled timber newels.
Moness originally belonged to the Flemyng family, in 1685 Robert Flemyng of Moness was Governor of Inverary Castle. The Barons of Moness held land to E of the Moness Burn for some 300 years, their family motto was 'LAT THE DEID SCHAW' (Let the deed show). Two family tombstones were situated on the roadside in Killiechassie, which estate the Flemyngs used to own. The estate was sold to Lord Breadalbane in 1787 for the sum of £9,600, and was held until 1921. From 1939-45 the house was utilised as a hostel for evacuated school children from Glasgow. By 1954 it belonged to Moness Estate Ltd
Other nearby listed buildings