This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6196 / 56°37'10"N
Longitude: -3.8644 / 3°51'51"W
OS Eastings: 285693
OS Northings: 749078
OS Grid: NN856490
Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.YCJ
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.MW17
Entry Name: 22 the Square, Co-Op Buildings and 6 Dunkeld Street
Listing Date: 21 December 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356060
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20858
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
1881 with later range to Dunkeld Street dated 1898. 3-storey, 3-bay tenement with shop at ground and polygonal corner tower, in irregular terrace. Squared chlorite-slate rubble with contrasting sandstone ashlar dressings. Ground floor cornice. 1st floor windows corniced. Stone transoms and mullions, and chamfered arrises.
W (THE SQUARE) ELEVATION: shop front at ground with 3 display windows and flanking stone piers to centre, and 3 further display windows to right (outer window altered to modern door) all with dividing cast-iron columns. Further display window to left with broad stone pier beyond. Full-width frieze and cornice. Tripartite windows to centre and right at 1st floor, and bipartite to left. 2nd floor with tripartite to centre and bipartite window to left both with piend-roofed dormerheads breaking eaves, bay to right with further bipartite in gablehead. Lower bay to outer right with modern door at ground and pedimented tripartite at 1st floor.
NW (CORNER TOWER) ELEVATION: steps up to 2-leaf panelled timber door with deep infilled fanlight, single window to each floor above and decoratively-finialled polygonal tower.
N (DUNKELD STREET) ELEVATION: bay to right with 2 display windows and dividing cast-iron columns to ground, 2 windows to 1st floor and bipartite in gablehead above. 1898 block to left with centre door shop to right and further shop with in-canted door to left, corniced frieze giving way to 3 bipartites at each floor above, that to centre 2nd floor also transomed; 2nd floor jettied; centre bay slightly advanced with relief carved panel in gablehead bearing coat of arms and 'WR 1898 AWR' (see Notes).
Distinctive glazing pattern of vertical 2 pane upper sashes over horizontal 2-pane lower sashes to W and NW, plate glass glazing to N, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans. Overhanging eaves with decorative bargeboarding and braces.
Formerly listed as The Square and 8 Dunkeld Street, Co-Op Building and Appin Crafts. Known locally as 'W and A's', the proprietor William Robertson also built the nearby Struan House and lived at Tulloch Bank. Former Temperance hotel.
Other nearby listed buildings