This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6194 / 56°37'9"N
Longitude: -3.8672 / 3°52'1"W
OS Eastings: 285519
OS Northings: 749067
OS Grid: NN855490
Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.WW2
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.KWPB
Entry Name: Mill Street, Aberfeldy Water Mill
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356061
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20859
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1826; Walworth kiln installed 1953; restored to full working order 1988. Single storey with attic and part basement, L-plan water mill in Breadalbane Estate gothic, with cast-iron overshot waterwheel. Chlorite-slate rubble with large quoins and stone cills; timber outshots and kiln housing. Voussoired pointed-arch openings.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad door in bay to right of centre with dormer window above breaking eaves, advanced gable to outer right with door to ground and windows at attic floor, 2 further windows to each floor on return to left, those to attic breaking eaves as above, small square-headed door under relieving arch in re-entrant angle beyond. Slightly advanced gable to left of centre with timber-blocked opening in gablehead, set-back bay to outer left with square-headed door in re-entrant angle to right, 'Aberfeldy Water Mill' sign to left and timber-blocked opening above breaking eaves into dormerhead; timber base of kiln housing adjoining eaves on right and giving way to swept pagoda roof with unusual stepped top.
SE (WATERWHEEL) ELEVATION: ground falling steeply to NE. 2 bays to left with windows to each floor, those to attic breaking eaves as above. Broad gable to right with waterwheel (see below) at basement level, windows to each floor above.
WATERWHEEL: 15' diameter, 8-spoke cast-iron framed overshot wheel fed by mill lade from Moness Burn.
NE ELEVATION: variety of elements to stepped elevation on ground falling to SE, including timber bays to centre, kilnhousing to right and rubble bay to outer right with broad square-headed door under relieving arch; further rubble bay to outer left with window in gablehead.
NW ELEVATION: blank gabled elevation.
Diamond glazing-pattern over 2-leaf timber casement opening. Grey slates. Deeply overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding
INTERIOR: 5 bucket elevators and 4 screw conveyors transport material between floors. Milling process (spread across 3 floors) includes: attic floor with Milson dresser (only electrical part of operation) for cleaning raw grain; milling floor with 2 pairs of 1.5 ton French burr stones and basement (with vaulted ceiling) housing great spur wheel of beechwood, mainshaft and pit-wheel driven from waterwheel. SW wing houses shop and information gallery.
Formerly listed as 'McKerchar & McNaughton's Meal Mill'.
The mill was closed in 1983 and subsequently carefully restored by Tom Rodger from Cupar in Fife whose family have milled oatmeal for seven generations. Re-opened in 1988, the mill produces fine Scottish oatmeal and is a popular tourist and educational venue in Aberfeldy. Mackay notes that the mill is dated '1826' on a gable (obscured by brick extension) facing the burn, and on the inside. A mill was built on this site during the 1740s, and subsequently purchased from the Earl of Breadalbane in 1771. The introduction of combine harvesting led to the need for instant drying, thus the oil-fired Walworth kiln was installed in 1953. Fitting the kiln necessitated removal of the kiln roof. The mill lade runs some 150m from The Birks, partly underneath the town.
Other nearby listed buildings