This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6196 / 56°37'10"N
Longitude: -3.8683 / 3°52'5"W
OS Eastings: 285452
OS Northings: 749085
OS Grid: NN854490
Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.W8Y
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.KW57
Entry Name: Taybridge Road, Church Hall and Tower Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 9 June 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356062
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20860
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
1843 (see Notes). 2-stage spired tower and rectangular-plan church hall with later smaller hall, in simple Tudor gothic. Chlorite-slate rubble with stone cills, and squared rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings. Hoodmoulds, voussoirs and 2-stage diagonal buttresses.
TOWER: 1st stage with hoodmoulded panelled timber door with shaped plate glass fanlight and steep pediment to W, paired blocked lights to S and large timber-louvered opening to each face above. Reduced 2nd stage with clock to each face and splayed angles, band course above giving way to pedimented cornice and ribbed lead spire with decorative cast-iron weathervane.
W ELEVATION: 4-bay elevation with tall windows to outer bays, penultimate bay to left with small window under catslide roof and tower (see above) in re-entrant angle to right.
S ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 tall pointed-arch windows flanking low link section to smaller hall (see below).
E (REAR) ELEVATION: altered elevation with harled bays to right and centre, and flat-roofed bays to left.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2-leaf boarded timber door with margined fanlight in bay to left and window to right, both hoodmoulded and pointed-arched; small glazed oculus to centre.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: piend-roofed elevation with 2 large windows.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place with some boarded dadoes and architraved doors. Marble memorial tablet to 'REV DONALD ROBERT CLARKE' 'PASTOR FOR 40 YEARS' 'DIED 13TH MAY 1883'.
Formerly part of the Breadalbane (originally Aberfeldy) Free Church, now used as the church hall. Probably designed by James Smith of Kenmore, the foundation stone was laid by Lord Breadalbane on 13th November, 1843. A previous attribution to Thomas J Mitchell (on the strength of an 1849 site plan) cannot be correct as he was not in business in 1843.
Other nearby listed buildings