History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Taybridge Drive, Black Watch Monument

A Category B Listed Building in Aberfeldy, Perth and Kinross

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6208 / 56°37'14"N

Longitude: -3.873 / 3°52'22"W

OS Eastings: 285167

OS Northings: 749230

OS Grid: NN851492

Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.SQK

Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.GVY8

Entry Name: Taybridge Drive, Black Watch Monument

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356064

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20862

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberfeldy

County: Perth and Kinross

Town: Aberfeldy

Electoral Ward: Highland

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Aberfeldy

Description

John and William Birnie Rhind, 1887; builders Messrs Gow & Dewar, Aberfeldy. Rebuilt 1910 after lightning damage. Piled boulder cairn memorial to the Royal Highland Regiment. Large tablet (see below) set into cairn at each face, surmounted by figure (facing NE) of Private Farquhar Shaw (see Notes) in early Regimental uniform, carrying flintlock musket and drawing sword.

NE ELEVATION: figure of soldier in 1887 Highlander parade uniform inscribing tablet with list of Black Watch engagements.

SW ELEVATION: relief carved bust of Queen Victoria surmounting inscription "1887 THE YEAR OF THE JUBILEE OF QUEEN VICTORIA / THIS SITE HAS BEEN KINDLY GRANTED BY THE MOST NOBLE GAVIN MARQUIS OF BREADALBANE".

SE ELEVATION: inscription recording details of 1st assembly 'OCTOBER 1739' of 'INDEPENDENT COMPANIES' , and 1st muster 'MAY 1740' of 'ROYAL HIGHLANDERS'. Further tablet below inscribed 'ON 5TH SEPTEMBER 1970 / THE FREEDOM OF THE BURGH OF ABERFELDY WAS CONFERRED UPON THE BLACK WATCH'.

NW ELEVATION: tablet inscribed in Gaelic.

Statement of Interest

The monument was unveiled on 14th November, 1887 by the Marquis of Breadalbane. The building cost of ?500 was raised by public subscription. The Black Watch or Royal Highlanders date back to 3rd August,1667 when Charles II issued commissions for men to uphold peace in The Highlands. The resulting independent companies wore dark tartans, which led to the name (by about 1678) of 'Black Watch', they were originally known as the 'Highland Watch' or just 'Watch'. Private Farquhar Shaw was one of three soldiers shot as an 'example' in 1743 after a confused escape attempt from London back to the Highlands.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.