History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7 Victoria Terrace, Old School (Former Drill Hall)

A Category C Listed Building in Speyside Glenlivet, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.471 / 57°28'15"N

Longitude: -3.2265 / 3°13'35"W

OS Eastings: 326535

OS Northings: 842964

OS Grid: NJ265429

Mapcode National: GBR L8DZ.8QZ

Mapcode Global: WH6K7.DHT1

Entry Name: 7 Victoria Terrace, Old School (Former Drill Hall)

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356076

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20874

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberlour

County: Moray

Town: Aberlour

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Aberlour

Description

Thomas Mackenzie, 1850. T-plan single storey Italianate former school. Harled

rubble with tooled ashlar margins, rubble E elevation.

7-bay N elevation, entrance E and S, at S masked by gabled

porch. Squared-headed fenestration except in gables where

tripartites have block imposts and single small oculus

above. Round-headed bellcote at S gable under diminutive

deep-eaved slate roof. Coped wallhead stacks; slate roofs

with deep eaves.

Statement of Interest

Prominently situated opposite the parish church. This building was originally built as a school, and is shown on the 1874 OS map in use as such. By 1905 a new school had been erected, and this building was used as a drill hall. It was designed by Thomas Mackenzie (1841-54) of Mackenzie and Matthews in 1850, but was built sometime after Mackenzie's death (it does not appear on the 1855 Plan of the Burgh of Barony of Charleston of Aberlour). Despite his short life, Mackenzie was a prolific architect. Born in Perthshire, ne moved to Aberdeen in 1835 and trained with both John Smith and Archibald Simpson. In 1839 he moved to Elgin, taking over William Robertson's practice in 1841, where he was joined by James Matthews in 1844. Mackenzie was a competent handler of building styles, and among more famous buildings are the neo-Tudor Milne's High School at Fochabers (1845-6) and the Italianate Elgin Museum (1842). The Bell from the bellcote hangs in the present Aberlour primary school.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.