This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.867 / 55°52'1"N
Longitude: -3.9761 / 3°58'34"W
OS Eastings: 276433
OS Northings: 665524
OS Grid: NS764655
Mapcode National: GBR 00NL.ZP
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.WSSN
Entry Name: Johnston Street, Flowerhill Parish Church, Church of Scotland, Including Church Hall and Manse
Listing Date: 5 August 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356142
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20932
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Airdrie Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Matthew Forsyth, 1872-5. Broadly gabled, rectangular-plan, Italianate church with campanile to SW corner. Squared and snecked sandstone. Base course, gallery-height continuous string course. Semicircular-arched openings.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay, stop-hoodmoulded openings. Clasped buttresses and small windows flanking central door. Large geometric traceried rose window. Jettied gable head, 3 blind arrow slits above, stone cross finial at apex of gable.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: obscured by abutting manse and hall.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 7-bay. Regular fenestration, small square windows to ground, bipartite, geometric traceried gallery windows. Stone steps to canopied, square-headed, door to outer bay to right, small rectangular window below 4-light window. Projecting 4-stage, square-plan bell tower to outer left bay: stone steps to canopied, square-headed, door; small canopied square window to 2nd stage; small bipartite window to 3rd stage, plain entablature above, 3 arrow slits to architrave, inscribed to S, BEGUN APRIL 1872 FINISHED JUNE 1875. Blind arcade to 4th stage, open Venetian window to centre, flanked by paired oculi. Projecting cornice, tiled pyramidal roof, cast-iron cross finial.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of S.
Square-pane leaded windows. Grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: plain galleried interior, redecorated 1900.
MANSE: 2-storey, 4-bay, L-plan, gabled manse, S facing. Squared and snecked sandstone courses. Advanced gabled, double bay to left, 2-storey advanced canted window to centre. Door to centre, small window above. 3-light, stone mullioned window to right bay, canopied bipartite window above. Irregular fenestration to side and rear, abutting church to E. Grey slates, pantile ridging. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
CHURCH HALL: 3-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled hall abutting rear elevation of church. Squared and snecked sandstone courses, glazed oculi.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Forsyth was a native of Airdrie practising in Glasgow. The Italianate detail and campanile suggest the influence of Charles Wilson.
Other nearby listed buildings