History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Anderson Street, Airdrie Arts Centre

A Category B Listed Building in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8668 / 55°52'0"N

Longitude: -3.9818 / 3°58'54"W

OS Eastings: 276079

OS Northings: 665510

OS Grid: NS760655

Mapcode National: GBR 00ML.RR

Mapcode Global: WH4QB.TS3T

Entry Name: Anderson Street, Airdrie Arts Centre

Listing Date: 19 April 1993

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356146

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20935

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Airdrie

County: North Lanarkshire

Town: Airdrie

Electoral Ward: Airdrie Central

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Airdrie

Description

George Arthur, dated 1893. 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan classical former library. Pedimented facade. Red sandstone ashlar to front, channelled at ground floor, bull-faced yellow sandstone courses to sides and rear. Base course, projecting moulded dividing band between floors, full entablature terminating in projecting cornice and blocking course. Semicircular-arched windows to ground floor, tall rectangular windows with cavetto moulded architraves to upper floor.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: stone steps to central doorway, flanking engaged columns supporting segmental pediment, tympanum dated 1893. Regular fenestration to flanking bays. Engaged columns supporting large pediment breaking eaves to 3 central bays, Airdrie coat-of-arms to tympanum. Single windows to outer bays.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: obscured by abutting later additions.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, half-gabled addition. Harled, red ashlar cladding to right return, window to ground and oculus to upper store.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind, single storey, flat-roofed addition; channelled ashlar to left return, recessed blind arcade.

Fixed multi-pane windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

Originally Airdrie's first purpose built public library provided by Andrew Carnegie, replaced by the present library on Wellwynd (see separate listing). Converted to Arts Centre in 1967 incorporating raked theatre space with 168 seat capacity; club room, gold room, Lady Watt Room and training room.

List description updated as part of Theatres Thematic Study 2010.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.