This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8664 / 55°51'59"N
Longitude: -3.9807 / 3°58'50"W
OS Eastings: 276147
OS Northings: 665466
OS Grid: NS761654
Mapcode National: GBR 00ML.ZW
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.TTM3
Entry Name: 2-10 (Even Nos) Bank Street, New Cross Corner
Listing Date: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356147
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20936
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Airdrie Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
William Baird and George Arthur, 1878 with later alterations. 2-storey and mezzanine, 9-bay, long, rectangular-plan, classical corner block sited on falling ground with shops to ground and offices to upper storey. Pedimented plinth bearing Airdrie coat-of-arms to corner parapet. Yellow sandstone channelled ashlar to principal elevations otherwise squared and snecked rubble.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 9-bay, bowed outer bays. Modern shop fronts to ground with mezzanine to S. At 1st floor, Tuscan pilasters flanking semicircular-arched windows, projecting keystones, full entablature supporting balustraded parapet. Parapet terminating in tripartite corner block to outer right with carved and painted Airdrie coat-of-arms to centre, pedimented and flanked by lower segmental pediments.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: bays to left obscured by abutting building, single storey, flat-roofed, brick extension to bays to right.
S (GRAHAM STREET) ELEVATION: mezzanine above ground 3-bay, diminutive version of W elevation, balustrade with segmentally-arched pediment to outer right.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration, coped wallhead stack to centre.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to upper storey, plate glass shop fronts to ground. Concealed, low hipped roof with grey slates, lead flashing.
INTERIOR: modern shop fittings to ground, offices to upper storey with some plasterwork retained.
Constructed for A & WS Ramsay, drapers and the interior remodelled in 1924 for Perman's Ladies and Gentleman's outfitters, the building is still known locally as Perman's although the shop was long been replaced with various smaller units. George Arthur (1849-99) trained under James Thomson the architect of Airdrie Townhouse (see separate listing) and formed his partnership with Baird in 1871, Baird being a financial partner more than an architect.
Other nearby listed buildings