History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wellwynd, Airdrie Public Library

A Category C Listed Building in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8664 / 55°51'58"N

Longitude: -3.9831 / 3°58'59"W

OS Eastings: 275992

OS Northings: 665468

OS Grid: NS759654

Mapcode National: GBR 00ML.GX

Mapcode Global: WH4QB.STG4

Entry Name: Wellwynd, Airdrie Public Library

Listing Date: 19 April 1993

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356162

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20950

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Airdrie

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Airdrie Central

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Airdrie

Description

J M Arthur, 1924. 2-storey, 7-bay, rectangular-plan severe classical library. Giant order entrance bay. Cream ashlar sandstone, grey granite base course. Channelled quoins. Base course, dividing band between 1st and 2nd storey, broad eaves course, cornice, blocking course.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced entrance bay to centre; granite hoodmould to entrance, 2-leaf timber panelled door, plinth above, recessed bay with tall, bipartite stained glass window to centre; flanking engaged Doric columns in antis. Eaves entablature to central bay terminating in blocked parapet. Regular fenestration to outer bays.

W (REAR) 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, harled addition to rear with further 2-storey, 2-bay gabled block to rear.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay, regular fenestration.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of S.

Multi-pane steel-framed windows with top hoppers. Low hipped roof, grey slates, lead flashing.

INTERIOR: not seen 2001.

Statement of Interest

Complimented by the neighbouring Airdrie Savings Bank (see separate listing) of the same date and also by Arthur, the site and much of the cost being gifted by the bank. The building was the third and final resting place of Airdrie Public Library having previously moved from its original home in Airdrie Town House (see separate listing) to a new building on Anderson Street in 1893 (now Airdrie Arts Centre, see separate listing) prior to the opening of the present building in 1924. The library houses the East Monklands standard from the Covenanting Battle of Bothwell Brig of 1679, which was carried by John Main, laird of Ballochney.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.