History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dens Road, Baltic Works (Former Arbroath Warehouse Limited Bond Number 1)

A Category A Listed Building in Arbroath, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5638 / 56°33'49"N

Longitude: -2.5882 / 2°35'17"W

OS Eastings: 363947

OS Northings: 741474

OS Grid: NO639414

Mapcode National: GBR VV.NGVS

Mapcode Global: WH8S8.68SX

Entry Name: Dens Road, Baltic Works (Former Arbroath Warehouse Limited Bond Number 1)

Listing Date: 11 October 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356395

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21141

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Arbroath

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Arbroath East and Lunan

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Arbroath

Description

1852 power loom linen weaving factory, ashlar and squared rubble-built. Slate roofs, Windows multi-paned sash and case, mostly now blocked.

1. 4-storey 13-bay triple-pedimented Palladian frontage, pedimented sections slightly advanced and defined by quoins. 3-bay gables with die finials (one missing). Central arched entrance. Rear very plain and with few windows. Ground floor weaving shed adjoined to E (demolished 1998).

Interior fireproof iron frame of two rows of columns carrying cast iron beams and brick arched ceilings. Wrought iron roof. Two ashlar stairs with iron handrails at top.

2. Long 2-storey wing with end gable stack, served as lodge, office mechanics shop and preparing depts, with boiler house and drying room nearest river. This has a tall square chimney with Doric base supporting a circular brick shaft. Top cornice missing.

3. Beam Engine house, large 4-part window in W gable with die finial. N elevation adjoined weaving shed. Interior part cast iron grid mezzanine at level of beam of beam engine, ceiling hook for hoisting beam, cast iron stair.

4. Wall to River Brothock pierced at regular intervals by cast iron brackets and surrounds for line shaft bevel gearing. Weaving shed kingpost roofs removed 1998.

Statement of Interest

Andrew Lowson (1813-1897 a "striking and loveable person") was by 1864 easily the most important manufacturer in Arbroath, having twice the horse power at his disposal and twice as many employees as the nearest competitor. Following Lowson's death, and injudicious overseas investments by his sons, all eight of his mills were put up for sale. In 1905 only one of the six mills was at work, and in 1948 the firm wound up.

Thereafter Baltic Works had a new lease of life as a whisky bond that ceased c.1990.

In Angus the surviving fireproof mills are (2003) one in Brechin (East Mill, 1837), and three in Arbroath, (Baltic, 1852, and Alma Works 1857, and Brothock Mill/ Arbroath Herald, later part built c1890). The form of roof and advanced quoined bays suggest familiarity with the Alexander Thread Mill, Duke Street Glasgow, by the architect Charles Wilson (1849) and Tay Works and Edward Street Mill, Dundee (both 1851).

Upgraded B to A, October 2003.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.