This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.2925 / 56°17'32"N
Longitude: -3.2325 / 3°13'56"W
OS Eastings: 323811
OS Northings: 711796
OS Grid: NO238117
Mapcode National: GBR 26.7KRT
Mapcode Global: WH6R1.93YG
Entry Name: Malt Barn and Kiln Behind the Cross (21 High Street)
Listing Date: 5 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356745
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21464
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Early 19th century malt barn and attached kiln, associated with Bonthrone Distilleries (said to have been founded 1829). Single storey range linking house to square kiln; whin rubble, ashlar dressings at door; small timber framed window to left; slated roof with roof light.
KILN: piended pantiled roof; whin rubble with red sandstone dressings and quoins to original openings: on E elevation central door, now bricked up as window, and small drying floor opening centre above at eaves; pair of early 19th century flanking windows with grey droved sandstone lintels and dressings (altered as door to right, 20th century). Access to drying floor on S originally by forestair, now lost. Interior retains I-beam iron supports and perforated cast-iron tiles of grain drying floor. Early 19th century opening introduced at SW angle, now blocked.
MALT BARN:(converted to garage) 2 malting floors and barley loft; symmetrical 6-bay barn built on sloping site meeting kiln slightly at an agle. Ground malting floor openings (E elevation) undressed with red sandstone lintels (droved with narrow margins), all with concrete infill. 1st and 2nd floor (malting floor and barley loft) openings aligned with each other above (ground floor openings in alternate bays): red sandstone lintels, some red sandstone dressings. Cast-iron tie-plates at barley loft. Some surviving boarded timber shutters (2 on E at N end, several on W elevation), others replaced with vertical-set iron bars. Pair larger sandstone dressed openings, 1st floor, and sliding garage door slapped into N elevation. W and N facing skylights, Interior of barn not seen.
Good surviving examples from what was an extensive distillery plant and estate stretching all along Burnside (including bridges over the burn), including No 21 High Street, 'Cross House', family home of the Bonthrones. Other related buildings at N of malting barn only partially surviving. Cask stencils in kiln, 1991: "Alexr Bonthrone. Strathmeden Disty. Auchtermuchty." (renamed Strathmeden Distillery in 1923).
Other nearby listed buildings