This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4276 / 55°25'39"N
Longitude: -4.6368 / 4°38'12"W
OS Eastings: 233241
OS Northings: 618022
OS Grid: NS332180
Mapcode National: GBR 49.00NF
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.RT6Z
Entry Name: Alloway, Alloway Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Including Graveyard, Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356753
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21472
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Campbell Douglas, 1858; alterations J MacVicar Anderson, 1890 and later alterations. Near rectangular-plan with transepts, Gothic church, on corner site. Tooled squared sandstone; ashlar dressings. Base course.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: traceried and hoodmoulded window with sculpted-head label stops; 7-lights under sphere triangle of tracery with inverted Y of conventional 2-light windows radiating from central hexagon; flanking angle buttresses; pinnacles atop; corbelled bellcote with quatrefoil opening beneath; cross finial at apex.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2 arched nave windows to left; buttress between. Arched porch entrance; sculpted-head label stops; 2-leaf timber door; mosaic tiled floor; quatrefoil to gable; circular cross finial at apex; single arched windows to returns; single nave window to right. 3-light window to transept; single window to return to left; steps to entrance to left; 2-leaf timber door; cross to central canted face to right, single windows flanking; 4 single windows to outer right.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 5 single windows to left; timber door and letterbox fanlight to centre; single arched window adjacent; traceried E window; flanking buttresses; advanced inner timber opening to right of gable; 2 single shouldered windows to outer right.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4 arched window openings to nave; buttresses between. 3-light window to transept; single windows to returns. 2 shouldered entrances to left; timber doors; trefoil window above door to right. Single windows to all faces of advanced canted section to outer left.
Stained glass windows includes work by J & J Keir (1880), Clayton & Bell (1891) and Christopher Whall (1922). Slate roof; stone skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: dominated by large stained glass windows to E and W elevations (stone surround to quatrefoil opening to arch apex of W window) transept and nave window openings. Arched brace collar timber roof; moulded stone corbels. Timber pews, dado panelling; organ frame; pulpit; arched timber-panelled roof to altar; stone font.
GRAVEYARD: predominantly 19th and 20th century headstone graves.
GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: square-plan vehicular gatepiers to outer left and right of Alloway elevation; pyramid copes (trefoils within); lamp to left gatepier to outer right only; 2-leaf iron gates; single iron gate to entrance to N elevation. Decorative railings atop low coped boundary wall to Alloway; higher boundary wall encloses remainder of site.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Building works amounted to #1750. Belfry stands 66 feet. Modern church hall stands to E of church and graveyard. Of particular note for its outstanding stained glass work by Keir and Clayton & Bell. Described by Rob Close as, "Typical Douglas: accomplished, idiosyncratic, and enjoyable" (p156).
Other nearby listed buildings