This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4324 / 55°25'56"N
Longitude: -4.6333 / 4°37'59"W
OS Eastings: 233483
OS Northings: 618546
OS Grid: NS334185
Mapcode National: GBR 39.ZXF5
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.SQV9
Plus Code: 9C7QC9J8+XM
Entry Name: Alloway, Alloway Public Halls Including Gatepiers, Gate and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356754
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21473
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Clarke & Bell, 1848; enlarged, 1881; converted to Halls, 1896-7; reconstructed Lorimer & Matthew, 1929. 2 single storey, 5-bay parallel rectangular-plan halls; linking block. Sandstone rubble to W hall; harl to E hall.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central pilastered and corniced war memorial; 3 decorative arches within containing inscription panels; sculpted heads flanking. 2 single windows flanking to outer right and left; deeply curved lintel heads.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: square-headed entrance to recessed harl elevation dated 1929; 2-leaf timber door; window to left. Blank advanced gable to outer right; timber door, small-pane fanlight and window to re-entrant angle to left. Single window to gable to left; blank elevation to re-entrant angle to right; 2 single windows to re-entrant angle to left. Single window to harled section to outer left.
SE AND SW ELEVATIONS: not seen 1999.
16-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof; crowstepped skews; gablehead stacks; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: (hall to W) barrel vaulted hall (square and roundel detailing) with 2 19 feet scenes from Burns depicting "The Diel's awa' wi' the Exciseman" and "The Jolly Beggars" to tympana (plasterwork by Pilkington Jackson); 1st World War Memorial by James A Morris, 1920, set in timber surround; inscription to fireplace below reads, "Preserve the dignity of man with soul erect and trust the universal plan will all protect." Bronze statuette of Burns in timber niche.
GATEPIERS, GATE AND BOUNDARY WALL: large circular-plan gatepiers; iron gate to left; coped boundary wall enclosing site.
Former school, attached to former school master's house at 1 Doonholm Road (see separate list description), with an average attendance of 133 children in 1891 (Groome, p44). As noted by Strawhorn and Andrew, this was the last commission completed by Sir Robert Lorimer before his death, at that time called the Alloway Burns Institute. Sign inside hall reads "This building was enlarged and reconstructed by Thomas 2nd Baron Glentanar in memory of his father late owner of Belleisle Estate who inaugurated the original hall on 8th February 1897. It was reopened by Grethe Baroness Glentanar on 18th January 1930."
Other nearby listed buildings