This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.452 / 55°27'7"N
Longitude: -4.6309 / 4°37'51"W
OS Eastings: 233717
OS Northings: 620721
OS Grid: NS337207
Mapcode National: GBR 39.YQ9W
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.V707
Entry Name: 10, 10a, 12, 14, 16, 16a, 18 and 20 Carrick Avenue
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356845
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21521
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
John A Campbell, circa 1905 (No 16). Single storey and attic (2-storey to No 16), L-plan grouping including former lodge and gatehouse to Carrick House. Coursed rubble (painted in part); ashlar dressings; harl. Base course; bracketed timber eaves.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-4-4-2. Modern garage extension to outer left; corniced timber door to left; single window to inner left bay; canted 2 storeys to inner right bay, timber framed at 1st floor; roll-moulded arch to bay to right (former gateway); narrow horizontal strip light and modern glazed door at ground; pedimented gabled dormer at attic; small balustrade.
Off-centred square-headed doorpiece to 4-bay section adjacent to right; 2-leaf timber door; 3-light fanlight; small dormer aligned above at attic; flanking bipartite windows at ground and attic floors; additional single window at ground to inner bay to left. Mirrored pattern to No 12 with additional single window at ground to inner bay to right. 2 bipartite windows at ground and 1st floor to outer right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 9-bay, grouped 3-3-3. Central corniced entrance to No 20 to left; flanking bipartite windows; central single catslide dormer at attic; flanking bipartite piended dormers. Identical pattern to adjacent No 18 (bay at ground to right, canted). Canted window to left of No 16, modern glazed opening to centre; glazing to advanced extension to right; bipartite window to gablehead above.
S ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to left with single window off-centre to right; architraved doorway to flanking bay to right, flanked by irregular fenestration; slate hung rectangular dormers to attic; harled addition with door to left return adjoining to outer right.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows; some modern glazing. Slate roof; partly harled stacks with brick oversailing courses; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 1999.
This short, varied terraced is notable for its tall stacks, modillion dormers and the unusual plan form of the grouping. Street is marked on the Ordnance Survey 1896 map as Carrick Park. Half-timbered No 16 was the gatehouse for the demolished Carrick House.
Other nearby listed buildings