History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fort Street, Former Cathcart Church Including Archway, Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall

A Category B Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.464 / 55°27'50"N

Longitude: -4.635 / 4°38'5"W

OS Eastings: 233508

OS Northings: 622065

OS Grid: NS335220

Mapcode National: GBR 39.XWYZ

Mapcode Global: WH2PP.SX1L

Entry Name: Fort Street, Former Cathcart Church Including Archway, Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356956

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21583

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Ayr West

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Ayr

Description

David Hamilton, 1807-10, with later alterations including J and H V Eaglesham, 1900. 2-storey, 5-bay classical near rectangular-plan former church. Painted ashlar; harl and coursed sandstone. Base course; 1st floor cill course; eaves course; blocking course; mutuled pediment cornice. Pilasters divide bays.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 square-headed, corniced entrances to central bays; 2-leaf glazed timber doors; stained glass fanlights; single windows aligned above at 1st floor. Blind outer bays; recessed panels.

NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Advanced painted bay to outer left; single arched keyblocked window; apron; panel aligned above; blocking course to cornice. 4 single arched windows at ground and 1st floor to remaining bays. Lower height section to rear.

Predominantly stained and painted glass windows (some replaced due to vandalism). Grey slate piend roof.

INTERIOR: converted to dance studio by J & JA Carrick, 1984. Coffered and coved ceilings; detailed carving to column capitals; timber 1st floor; timber pews; patera frieze; dentilled cornice; shallow coffer ceiling; polished ashlar keyblocked arch; putti; keyblocked circular openings to flanking bays.

ARCHWAY, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: 20th century block-pedimented, keyblocked corniced entrance arch, "1816 Cathcart Church 1929" inscribed on block-pediment by William Cowie; 2-leaf Art Nouveau iron gates and sidelights; flanking square-plan stone gatepiers; stone gatepiers to vehicular entrance to outer right, iron gates. Coped boundary wall with railings surmounting, enclose site.

Statement of Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use. The New Church built at a cost of £5703, had seating for 880 worshippers and was so-called because built as an extension to the Auld Kirk, which could not cope with its growing number of members. Despite numerous internal alterations, the church retains much of its architectural detailing both externally and internally. Of particular note, are the internal ceiling decoration and the column capital detailing, along with the good quality stained glass work. Gateway by William Cowie moved from former Relief Church, Cathcart Street.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.