History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

George Street, Ayr (Martyrs) Free Church and Hall Including Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4651 / 55°27'54"N

Longitude: -4.6278 / 4°37'40"W

OS Eastings: 233965

OS Northings: 622167

OS Grid: NS339221

Mapcode National: GBR 39.XR10

Mapcode Global: WH2PP.WWGR

Entry Name: George Street, Ayr (Martyrs) Free Church and Hall Including Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 10 January 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356966

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21589

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Town: Ayr

Electoral Ward: Ayr West

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Ayr

Description

Dated 1832, with later additions. 2-storey, 3-bay near square-plan pedimented classical Free Church with church hall to rear. Rubble (painted to entrance elevation). Painted strip quoins. Architraved openings to entrance elevation, corniced at ground floor.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: pilastered and pedimented double doorpiece; pair of 2-leaf timber doors; single window aligned above at 1st floor; dated square panel to pediment reads 'AD 1832'; single windows flanking to outer bays at ground and 1st floor.

E (JOHN STREET) ELEVATION: 2 single windows at ground and 1st floor.

Blinded openings to entrance elevation; plate glass timber sash and case windows to side elevations; round-arched sash and case windows with gothick glazing, flank pulpit to S elevation. Grey slate roof; stone skews.

INTERIOR: timber boarded ceiling; timber pews, gallery, furniture and pulpit; central, domed finialled tester; flanking arched windows.

HALL: later asymmetrical-plan church hall to S of church.

GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: central square-plan gatepiers to central entrance; single gatepier to outer right; pair of gatepiers to outer left; iron gates; modern railings surmount coped boundary wall. Additional piend-roof section to SE.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Constructed in 1832 as the first permanent Reformed Presbyterian Church (or Covenanting church) in Ayr.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.